Zoanthids in a biocube 14 and copepods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got this frag of zoas not sure what kind but I was wondering if I should feed them, I do have a ton of copepods in the tank with not predators their population in booming but I did hear that the bigger pods some times eat zoas is this true? And what fish would you recommend to shrink the pod population? My lfs sometimes gets mandarins that eat prepared meals could this be an option?

Attachments

• image-1083453881.jpg
    image-1083453881.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 89
  • image-3466150090.jpg
    image-3466150090.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 89
  • image-350077564.jpg
    image-350077564.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 94
No. it's not true that pods eat zoas. What you have there are palythoa. Do not put a mandarin in a 14 gallon tank. You want more pods. they are NEVER a bad thing.
You don't need to feed the palys anything. They will be all over the place in no time.

Okay thanks, but what fish can I put in there to clean up some of the pods not destroy the population thought? I know they have population spikes and it will drop off at times but it seems they've balanced out. I do have a clown I could put in but I've read they don't eat pods

Any wrasse will do the trick. A 6 line is a popular choice and they don't get too big. They are much easier to get to eat than dragonets. You really don't need to control their population. they are your free cleanup crew and totally reef safe.

Back
Top Bottom