10 gallon tank for saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXaquaFanatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
OK, so I told myself I was not going to put myself through the headache of a saltwater build (I have been told they are expensive), but I have been thinking and that always leads to trouble . So I guess my questions are: Is a saltwater tank with at least 3 fish possible with a 10 gallon? Is live coral possible? what is the maintenance of a saltwater tank? and is it usually costly? I can't to sink a lot of money into the upkeep of a tank. Any input is greatly appreciated!:thanks:

Coral is absolutely possible! In fact that's probably where you'll focus much of your effort. While a smaller reef can be more difficult to stabilize, it is much much more affordable. 3 fish may be pushing it, but I could see a clown goby, and watchman goby. You may even be able to put a royal gramma or firefish in that mix also.

Because its a smaller tank you save a lot of money on rock and filtration. There's really no need for you to have a protein skimmer. You can get 20lbs of live rock for like $100, and one circulation pump that moves water about 1200 gph. This may seem like a lot, but it's not. Theres no need for you to have a HOB filter or anything like that, because the circulation pump filters the water through the live rock. You could pick up a Ehime Surface Skimmer to remove the surface slime though.

I'd highly recommend ATO for a smaller tank unless you plan on sleeping next to your freshwater for evaporation top off. I recommend the Tunzee Nano ATO if you're looking to save some cash. Depending on type of light you get dictates corals really. I'd consider a Kessil A150 for this tank.

So you're pretty much fully set up under $500.

I have a 5 gallon nano with corals. They are possible, but just remember that if you dose anything, you have to be very precise. Lighting depends on what corals you want. And three fish really is kinda pushing it.

Sent via echolocation

Cool thanks for the input :)

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also I decided to just stick with fresh water. Maybe saltwater one day. Just not sure I am ready for one yet. I will stay Fresh for a bit.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom