1000 gallon salt stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since $$ isn't a problem get a golden arthrodon puffer! They're so cool! If I had that big of a tank I'd definitely get a shoal tang too!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Get the 3k then! You'd have one of the largest tanks on the forum, and it would be amazing!!!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I don't mind talking about it because I need to so we make the right choice. My husband is a athlete and I stay home.

Since $$ isn't a problem get a golden arthrodon puffer! They're so cool! If I had that big of a tank I'd definitely get a shoal tang too!

I have never heard of those I'll look them up thanks :)

Get the 3k then! You'd have one of the largest tanks on the forum, and it would be amazing!!!!!

I'm thinking about it but just want to make the right choice with the way it looks and the kind of fish

I get you. Make the right choice you don't want a 3k tank that you hate lol

I don't think there's any shark that is active and can live in a 1000 gallon tank. Although 1000 gallons sounds huge to us, it's just a drop compared to the ocean.

Really depends on the configuration. If you do a shallow lagoon I'm sure there are some smaller species that would do fine.
But personally I feel sharks have no place at all in home aquaria.

Really depends on the configuration. If you do a shallow lagoon I'm sure there are some smaller species that would do fine.
But personally I feel sharks have no place at all in home aquaria.

I love sharks the banded is one of my favorites but we were thinking rays and some big colorful fish and maybe a large puffer

+1 to the shoal of tangs. I personally dislike monster tanks (both saltwater and freshwater) so I won't be much help.

+1 to the shoal of tangs. I personally dislike monster tanks (both saltwater and freshwater) so I won't be much help.

Haha I meant sohal tang but my phone autocorrected. A shoal of tangs would be great too, just not a shoal of sohals as they're big and mean.

Love the puffer although I think I like the black spotted one better. The tang is ok but I prefer a lemon peel tang :)

Love the puffer although I think I like the black spotted one better. The tang is ok but I prefer a lemon peel tang :)

Haha it's your tank so whichever you like :). You'll have room for plenty o fish!

What other cool puffers that are rare?

As a card carrying member of the tang police, I am for once happy to say you could keep almost any tang in there, or a school of them.

The thing you should think about is livestock compatability. The tank is big enough for anything that tops out at a foot. But some fish just don't get along. But even aggression is dampened by tank size. I envy your room and budget. But man, are you gonna burn some electricity and buy a lot of salt. If I had this opportunity, I would go reef, but that would be very expensive and time consuming to pull off right. Starting with 1000lbs of rock.

What's behind the scenes? Lighting?

Last edited:
There's really very little that would not work in a tank that large. Puffers have great personality and there are plenty of fish that would work with one. I'm a big fan of Angels (both the fish and baseball team) so I would get at least a couple of large Angels (Scribbled are my favorite) and probably some dwarf Angels too. If you wanted to go all out, get some of the hybrid or aberrant ones from Vanuatu. Big bucks, but kinda one-of-a-kind too. I'd get all sorts of Tangs and some wrasses too.

A Red Sea Sohal Tang (prettier color), Scribbled Angel and Aussie Harlequin Tusk (better color) would be at the top of my "must haves".

Just be sure you have the filtration and safeguards in place for these fish. Even with 1000 gallons, start out slowly.

The people who are building my tanks will do all the filtration and lights for me I just have to decide when comes time what I want. They will also add the fish I want when it's safe I leave that up to them. They are great guys. I do want some tangs and def some puffers thinking of some rays.

Back
Top Bottom