125 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfirst

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a few questions about the 125 gallon I'm about to purchase... Its going to be $300 for the tank and stand (the tank has a few small scratches) I'm wondering if I can buff them out? Its glass... also the back may not have scratches, but its covered in spray paint... how would I get that paint off if I wanted to just switch it around? Also the tank was treated with metronidazole (for cichlids)... I was wondering if this was harmful to corals and inverts if its leached from the silicone? Just a few questions... need to make sure this is worth my money! :)

Well, for 300 bucks that's a darn good price, the AGA 75gallon's we have are currently around 350, and thats the sale price. Usual price for a 125 tank/stand combo is around 7-800 I believe.

As for the paint, razor blades will do the trick. Just be careful not to scratch the glass.

The scratches on the front could possibly be buffed out, certain places can remove/replace a sheet of glass for a small fee.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the metronidazole, so I can't help you out there. But I would say to scrub the silicone vigourously just to be safe, boil some water and hopefully that would kill off any remaining traces of the chemical.

-
Matt

just wondering if paint thinner would take off the spay paint on the back in hopes of finding a way to get away with out buffing the glass?

I would tend to avoid the paint thinner if at all possible -- might leech into the silicone. You might be lucky anyways, the paint might be acrylic.

Try the razor blade method -- buy a box of 50 (change them frequently and take it slow -- should be no problems.

HTH
nick

I would shop around. $300 for a used tank with scratches should be negotiable due to wear and tear, and the fact that is has spray paint on the back glass which would be difficult to remove without scratching the glass. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom