14 gallon eclipse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JLatsko

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
any suggestions for fish for a 14 gallon eclipse ? Have 16 lbs. live rock, 50/50 lighting, live black aragonite sand, 1 hermit, 3 snails

First welcome .I have found that even with a good pet store NEVER listen to thier advice .....They have to make sales , that is their lively hood .That is what these boards are good for we have nothing at stake and no need to push a sale ...Set up your tank , cycle it the only things that should be in your tank right now is :
Live Sand or sand (if it is not live it will be as the populations grow)
Live rock (this is a must)
Salt water
and any free hich hikers that may have hiched their way into your syste
sit back and wait , your cycle is under way ....
Here is how your cycle will look
Ammonia will rise and fall to 0 . Ammonia is the most toxic to fish and will burn gills.
NitrItes will rise and fall to 0. NitrItes are the biproduct of ammonia less toxic but toxic none the less .
NitrAtes will rise and fall you will then do a water change at this point to drop them to lower than 20 .... This is the biproduct of the Ammonia breaking down to NitrItes, NitrItes then go to NitrAtes it is still toxic but less so than ammonia or nitrItes ...
Ph should be steady at 8.2-8.4 will be higher with the cycle of lights .
Spg should be at 1,024-1.026
Temp should not have huge swings and be at around 77*-80*
The cycle can take any where from 2-6 weeks to complete ...No fish are needed to cycle die off from the LR is enough to kick start it if not add a table shrimp (unseasoned ) All you need is die off to start it .
Once complete you can add a CUC to help with the algea that will be there (also a biproduct of excess nutrients and the cycle )
These boards and folks are great and teach from experience of what works and what doesnt ...
As for fish you could place in a smaller clown , or even some gobies ... At most 2 fish as that will give you a fairly high bioload ....
Do remove the bio wheels once you are cycled as these tend to be nitrAte/Phosphate factories ....If you want corals you will need to upgrade lighting as this will not be enough for corals (perhaps a shroom or two) but that is about it .... Keep us posted keep the questions comming and again welcome

Welcome to AA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With a 14g you are going to be some what limited to how many fish you can have. I have always liked clown gobies, watchman gobies, green chromis, a False perc. Clown fish. You need to select fish that are going to be small even when full grown. Also one fish that I absolutely love is a neon goby. They are small interesting fish.

How long has your tank been set up? I trust you are finished with your cycle since you have the hermit and snails in the tank.

yeah fully cycled, how about a royal gramma or a 5 lined wrasse ? choclate chip starfish ?

royal gramms are nice , and would do well . 5 line should do fine .Ditch the star they will eat corals and eventually will starve in a nano and fall apart possibly causing a tank crash (all stars should be left out of a young nano and some just will NOT survive in a nano due to lack of food )

hey everyone,
i like the idea of the royal gramma, but im going to disagree and say the 5 line would not be a smart idea. wrasses need a lot of swimming space and im afraid a 14g cube wont do the trick. the choc chip starfish is a bad idea if you are thinking of keeping corals. i would look into gobies, clownfish, damsels, chromis, firefish... good luck :)

how about a purple stripe pseudochromis or a chalk bass ?

nix the bass they get too big . Psuedochromis should be fine ...

I just wanted to add this since it is posted under the reef forum....

I cannot think of any Eclipse tank that has the appropriate lighting to keep coral, unless you choose to mod the lighting in some way. You could easily go FOWLR with your current setup, but you will need more light if you want coral (unless you have some model that I haven't heard of). Can you give us more information about your setup?:)

shrooms and zoas should do ok under that lighting , the brighter color zoas would not but normal greens/browns should do ok

yeah no corals, just anemones, feather dusters,sponges, maybe a nice scallop, maybe clam? I don't know.gonna step it up and get a nanocube later, got the eclipse for free brand new in the box,it got the 50/50 lighting one blue one white. I have 2 very small powerheads in it though too. I'll post pics. And the chalk bass only gets 3 inches.

Last edited:
you will have to find a host for it such as photo bucket and link it I believe :)

There won't be nearly enough light in the Eclipse tank for either anemones or clams, at least not without some serious modification.;)

Back
Top Bottom