15 tall nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I`m starting a 15 gallon tall nano reef and I was wondering if I could have yellow watchman goby, 1 firefish, and either a White Banded Possum Wrasse or maybe a clown fish as the complete stock of fish.

I'd say yes to the goby and firefish. I would be careful adding anything else. If it were me, I'd do a goby and a clownfish, or just 2 clowns. 2 clowns is pushing it... But if you keep up on water changes it may be okay. Lower bioload the better, ecspecislly in a nano tank.

IMO id do them all if you got about 20-25 lbs lr and good filtration and a skimmer.. I have A longnose hawkfish, clownfish , bangai cardinal , algae blenny, Pygmy angel, and a fire shrimp in a 20 long with 5lbs of lr (upgrading to 72 bowfront) and a hob filter my hob skimmer broke a while back tank has been fine..

Wow, your tank sounds awesome. HawkFish are such cool fish. I might be getting a 20 gallon tall if I can find the floor space for it, and I`m definitively running a skimmer. I`ll also probably buy 15-30 pounds of live rock with live sand, with a filter running. I really want this tank to go swimmingly so I`m trying not to skimp out on anything, but my wallets not to happy.

Ya it used to be nice but I left it for a week and I got hair algae red and green. So when I could took the rock out and put it in some water for a bit till I got a 72 bowfront. Just I have a problem between the clown and angel but that's it

I honestly wouldn't do many fish! Put a ton of coral and wait till you can upgrade to a bigger tank to start getting a lot of fish. Fish4ever has a lot of fish in his tank and his stocking is definitely controversial. To each their own, but if it were me, I'd stick to a few nano fish. 2 clowns would be your best bet to me!

But think the inch per gallon rule. The Pygmy wrasse is a very cool but shy fish so having one clown and 2 gobies he'd more likely to be out

But do what YOU want we're here to give opinions not make your decisions.

I`m really not planning on over stocking. I think I`m going with 3 nano fish max on the 15, and even that's gonna be a at least a year away. I`m going to let my tank cycle and probably add my first fish in July. I think a firefish and a yellow watcherman goby would be fine. If I had any other fish, it might be the Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse, but only if my tank is settled. I love clownfish, but it seems to me that every tank has one. I`m also gonna add some of my invertebrates first, along with some coral.

Look into scarlet or blood red shrimp they are very cool and would do good once params are steady

very cool, I`m gonna try and get a 20 gallon tall if i get all 3 fish. Blood red shrimp are defiantly on my wish list. I was also thinking about some pom pom crabs, small, diffrent , and they don`t really contribute to the bioload. Do you have any coral suggestions for beginners. I like the hammer coral but I don`t really know if it would do good

Mushrooms and zoas are the only corals I've had. No experience with Pom Pom crabs but I'd stay away from arrow crabs. After the cycle you'll need a clean up crew , blue leg hermits and turbos are always on mine sometimes an urchins like the pencil or long spine(very poisonous). But the blood shrimp get pretty expensive I found mine on sale for 15%off normal price of 30$

Inch of fish per gallon is more for freshwater. But like I said... To each their own! It wouldn't surprise me if you had a beautiful tank that is stable and everything... But in general for nanos, 2 fish sounds perfect. In my 20 I have a goby and 2 clowns! Upgrading to a 40 soon. Get a cleaner shrimp or fire shrimp and some peppermint shrimp and you'l have a beautiful tank my friend!

Besides the Pom Pom a pederson shrimp and a condy anenome . They are tiny I had one in a 4 gallon with 2 clowns the clowns always stayed near the shrimp to be cleaned . You can get them on eBay for 25$ including shipping

I`ll probably get some mushrooms and frogspawn coral, and I was actually looking at urchins, I`m still om the fence about them, so they sound cool. From what I read frim people yhat owned them said that it would take a lot of force for you to be stabbed by one.. And I think i`m looking into scarlet and blue leg hermits for my clean up crew.

My parents have 2 Scarlett's that always have eggs and feed the tank every so often

What about snails? And thanks for telling me about them on ebay. Hopefully they`ll still be there when I finally get this tank set up. and yeah, arrow crabs are a big no. I would have by fish swim and not be speared

I live in florida and caught two and the first one ate my Pygmy angel and then he got huge and died my second one died before getting off the boat due to being so small and snails like 1 or 2 Mexican turbos once there is a lot of algae but to start just plain old turbos

Ok thanks. Thats pretty cool how you can just go out and get snails. If I wanted, I could go out and catch freshwater crayfish in my frontyard

Back
Top Bottom