2 little fishies phosban reactor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the Two Little Fishies reactor and am quite happy with it. I have a MJ 600 and the first couple of weeks it was running fine. Once a week, as per instructions, I would open the valve to full for a couple of minutes to give it a stir. However I now am finding that the pump even with full open on the valve is not giving it's all. I've taken it apart, in fact took everything apart to make sure of "no clogs" but the pump doesn't pump it's full rating anymore. I'm thinking that I've wrecked it since I piped it back with the valve. I'm now thinking an adjustable pump should have been the way to go. I know that not letting the pump do it's full speed shortens its life. Anyone else had pump issues when throttling it back?

Steve

I have a ball valve and its cut back. Sometimes as the NPX gets older it begins to clump so I have room to open the pump more. I also put a mag-float 25 inside to break them up if need be. If you go with GFO I had a Rio 90 on my reactor and had a slow tumble looked like water starting to boil for turn over. Bulkreefsupply has a great video on GFO. Biopellets should turn over pretty good to stop the clumping. If I get a minute tomorrow I will post a video of my reactor and biolpellets.

That would be awesome. Thanks for the info.

I have a MJ 1200 on the reactor its about 3/4 way open and I have not had any trouble with clumping or slowing down. Its been up for about 4-5 weeks now. You can see the Mag-Float 25 that I have, I have never had to use it but if I do it will keep me from having to take the reactor apart.

YouTube - Biopellets

carey said:
Are the pellets better than the granular? I think the 400mj is only for that. I would think the pellets are heavier. lol You also need a little filter plate for the reactor if you use pellets over granular, correct?

I'm in the market as well, have been for awhile

Granular is better. Pellets don't last as long.

I been look'n at the phosban reactor and it doesn't come with anything plumbing wise. Does the pump go in the tank? I dont have a sump.

It can. You can also put multiple media in there at once or link multiple reactors to it.

Does it have to be in the tank? And I'm have'n a hard time find'n out a pump for this phosban set up. And the size has me confused too cuz I been read'n if you get the suggested size it bogs down on you eventually and if you go to big it will destroy all you're media and won't work properly. I'm at a loss.

No it doesn't. You can have the pump in the tank somewhere and the reactor itself on the back or on the ground.

Codyheitmiller said:
No it doesn't. You can have the pump in the tank somewhere and the reactor itself on the back or on the ground.

Thanks. I want to get one but I gotta make sure I get the right stuff.

Awesome. You'll
Love it! Just make sure you get the phosban granular stuff. It will
Last about 2-3 months. Rinse it with RO water first though

are you going to run GFO? if so I had a RIO 90 on my 150 the GFO only needs to look like it is boiling if it tumbles to much it breaks down and gets into the aqurium I think mine was pumping abut 10-15g per hour through it.

If you are going with pellets you will need a MJ1200 because the pellets are bigger and are used for Nitrates and Phosphates reduction. Its like carbon or vodka dosing.

YouTube - Fluidising phosphate remover

sdergar said:
I have the Two Little Fishies reactor and am quite happy with it. I have a MJ 600 and the first couple of weeks it was running fine. Once a week, as per instructions, I would open the valve to full for a couple of minutes to give it a stir. However I now am finding that the pump even with full open on the valve is not giving it's all. I've taken it apart, in fact took everything apart to make sure of "no clogs" but the pump doesn't pump it's full rating anymore. I'm thinking that I've wrecked it since I piped it back with the valve. I'm now thinking an adjustable pump should have been the way to go. I know that not letting the pump do it's full speed shortens its life. Anyone else had pump issues when throttling it back?

Steve

is this why my GSP are not opening at all now. I currently do not have an air stone

im running biopellets.... im the OP

Just wondering why my green star polyps are not opening up since adding the 2 little fishies reactor with biobellets

Back
Top Bottom