20 Gallon long reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nobody else chimed in because it's still within recommended parameters most likely.

Wait how is there no ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite?

Sent via echolocation

Easily. Tank is already cycled hence the no ammo or trite. There COULD
be no trate due to algae present, false reading, or completely pristine system at the time of test.

It is the lower edge of recommended level.
7-11 dkh or 125.3-196.9 ppm.
My one tank eats KH @ a 2ppm level per week so I keep it in the upper end when I dose.
If your tanks is steady it may be fine.
I just noticed no one else chimming in or mentioning your results?

Thank you for addressing it. I will see if I can raise it up some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

By the way the tank is about a year old. I did have a hair algae and red carpet algae issue. I added some more cleaners (crabs&snails) so that's almost gone.

Thank you for addressing it. I will see if I can raise it up some.

Your Ca is a touch high but I would not adjust it or worry.
More to note is if you are following the seachem 1&2 directions and doing a 1:1 dose that the part 1(the Ca part) is working better then part 2(the Kh part).
I use seachem "reef builder" for my Kh dosing(not buffer which is for pH).
You may just try a little of that and keep doing the same thing you have been with the 1&2 and not have a total change and new dosing "curve".
I am always happy with 9-10,but don't worry if I get 11 after dosing since I know my tank will eat it.
8 and under and I add.
You could dose 1 day and test(Kh) and then see how fast it drops over a couple days or a week to know the tanks consumption.

I ordered some of the Seachem Reef Builder. I should receive it this week. In the meantime I will keep dosing the Seachem 1&2.

I received the reef builder but have not had a chance to use yet. Hopefully next week I can add some in the tank.

Ok salinity is down to 1.22. Should I be adding some salt to my top off water to prevent this from happening? This tank is in my office at work. I have a Tunze top off system but for some strange reason it stops working. So when I come into work on Monday the water level in the sump has dropped down below the pump. To get the level back up I usually have to add almost a whole gallon of Rodi water. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Ok salinity is down to 1.22. Should I be adding some salt to my top off water to prevent this from happening? This tank is in my office at work. I have a Tunze top off system but for some strange reason it stops working. So when I come into work on Monday the water level in the sump has dropped down below the pump. To get the level back up I usually have to add almost a whole gallon of Rodi water. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I think I missed something... What's the issue with the salinity? I would get the auto top working again. If you add salt water as your topoffs your salinity will end up on the high side of things in a few days. Do you use a refractometer or hydrometer to test?

I use a refractometer. Let me start by giving you a little more info. This tank is in my office at work so I am not there all the time to monitor things. I work from home on Tuesdays and Thursdays so on Monday, Wednesday and Friday I take in Rodi water to refill the top off containers which is a 2.5 gallon container. I run a dual fan on the system in the summer because our building management company turns the air off on the weekends to save money. I'm running the fans 4 hours on and 2 hours off starting at noon and ending at 10pm. I'm sure that is causing some evaporation as well. When I go in on Monday the sump is down to where the pump is pumping air into b the tank so I check the top off container and it's full of water. So what I have to do is unplug the Tunze and plug it back in and it will start putting water in the tank. I will do this a couple of times until the water level in the sump is back up to where it should be. Over the period of 2 weeks I end up having low salinity because I think I'm putting to much top off water in there. That's pretty much it.

It sounds like you either have a faulty unit or its set up incorrectly... I'm not familiar with the Tunze unit. Is there a sensor in the return section of your sump?

It sounds like you either have a faulty unit or its set up incorrectly... I'm not familiar with the Tunze unit. Is there a sensor in the return section of your sump?

Yes there is a sensor. I have had this one replaced once under warranty for the same issue only it stopped working all together. I have one on my 29 gallon and no problems with that one.

Yes there is a sensor. I have had this one replaced once under warranty for the same issue only it stopped working all together. I have one on my 29 gallon and no problems with that one.

I guess what I'm asking is, is how is it set up?

I have the JBJ ATO, and if the sensors are upside down, not in "sensor 1" or "sensor 2" slot, etc etc it won't function properly.

Looks like the tunze comes with 2 sensors, how are they situated in your sump and top off reservoir?

I guess what I'm asking is, is how is it set up?

I have the JBJ ATO, and if the sensors are upside down, not in "sensor 1" or "sensor 2" slot, etc etc it won't function properly.

Looks like the tunze comes with 2 sensors, how are they situated in your sump and top off reservoir?

I have the Tunze nano so I believe there is only one sensor and its in the sump facing down. The only thing in my ATO container is the pump. I'm not familiar with the JBJ ATO. Although if this keeps happening I may try something different.

Thanks for trying to help me. I appreciate it.

I just don't understand why this one acts up and my other one doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom