20gal long nano plans..tips please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am planning on taking down my 50gal (which is just like a 40gal breeder but taller) and putting a 20gal long in its place. The reason behind this is that I want an awesome reef, but with a 50gal it is $$$$. I plan on using alot of what I already have, sand, and the existing refug, and just transferring my fish. Here is what I have in mind when all is done:

-20 gallon long tank
-20 gallon tall below as a sump / refugium has about 15 gallons in it
-2x 65w power compact 1 actinic, and 1 10k
-35-40lbs Fiji live rock some to be put in the sump / refugium
-bak pak 2 with maxi jett 1200 & bio bale removed hanging on my sump
-maxi jett 600 and 900 in main display for flow
-2 balls of chaeto in the refug with a deep sand bed and some live rock

Here is what I would like for livestock:

-1 emerald crab (spell)
-1 cleaner shrimp
-7-8 turbo snails good amount
-10 or so nassirus snails good amount?
-15 small hermits good amount
-4 peppermint shrimp
-1 Fire fish
-1 orange spotted goby
-1 scooter blenny
-1 six line wrasse

Corals:

-zooanthids
-star polyps
-torch coral
-xenia
-frog spawn
-more just don't know what yet

Please let me know what you think about these plans. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hmm most people want to upgrade to a larger tank....thats interesting. Well i suppose you could have less corals and seem more "full". A smaller tank will require more time in water quality issues since it will be a smaller water volume. If your planning on buying more corals then why not just leave your 50 setup? Understanding that it does cost more $$ for larger tanks, but you will have more room and can get more variety of fish with a bigger tank. The corals will grow plus the ones you will buy eventually your 50 could turn into a very nice reef. But your list looks good for a 20gal. HTH

Looks good but you might find two ph are alot of flow for a 20g. Your cleanup crew looks like a nice amount. I have a 20g reef I've had setup for about 6 months and it is coming along nicely. I think you will be pleased. Wish mine was a long instead of a tall.

I would very very much like to turn the 50 into a reef but to keep the corals that I would like I think I would need a metal halide. If this tank takes off, maybe I will set the 50 up and transfer back to that. WHO knows?!?!?!?!

You can pretty much keep most any coral in pc lighting. Mh are great and you probably need them for clams, but most corals do well in the right wattages of pc or vho.

the 50 is wide from front to back, the lights only cover the back half. THere is only 2.6 watts per gallon on the 50. On the 20 long I will have 6.5 watts per gallon. I don't know if I will be able to keep frog spawn and torch in the 50 with only those lights covering the back half.

Back
Top Bottom