210 tank LED lens angle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tkey3425

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 210 US Gal tank. It is 72" long 28" front to back and 24" Deep.
I'm switching over to the tao leds and want to know what lens angle I need. I see them in 90 and 120 degree. They will be on a canopy about 12"-13" off the water. I currently only have some GSP on the bottom of the tank and a few anemone. I also have some Acropora but i really don't care for it all that much so just ignore that one. Ill be taking it out ...... eventually. If i get back into corals it will be softies and LPS. My anemone are the main thing i want to preserve. Its a condy and two big red bubble tips.

Hopefully someone will pipe in here with their own observations. But, from a technical point of view, here is the basics of antenna transmission (i.e. LED light transmitting antenna, AKA LED bulb)
The lens is rated on the -3dB point, or where half as much light is transmitted as compared to max, or directly under the bulb. So it's not like nothing is transmitted past the 90 or 120 degree points, its just less than half of the peak. But lets aim for the -3dB point.
You tank is 28 inches wide and the fixture is 8.5" that leaves 20" total or 10" per side.
A 90 lens is 45 deg either side of vertical. In a 45 deg RA triangle, width = hieght, so about 10" high would give 10" to the side. But the LEDs aren't right up to the edge, so a couple more inches would give better coverage. 12-13" might be just right.
A 120 deg lens is 60 deg either side, which is a 3-4-5 triangle. So hieght needs to be 3/4 of optimal width. 3/4 of 10" is about 7.5", so at 12" you might get a bit excessive light spilling out the top.

Now, who's got what lenses on their Tao's and hung at what height? I am also curious because I will upgrade sometime and I plan on a 120 and 90 deg lens for my sloping structure.

I prefer just blue and white. Full spectrums are for our liking and don't do much for corals. Plus full specs aren't as bright. With that big of a tank I would go with 3 dimmable taotronics . 90 degree. Hang them 12+ inches above the water surface. I have 3 over my 150 and par readings are over 300 near the top. 225 + near the bottom

I just hung 2 120 dimmables above my tank, they are about 8 inches high. I have the ability to adjust them if needed, but am only using slightly above the lowest setting w/the white LED's so all adjusts to it. For the blues at night, they are currently on the lowest setting for right now. I love them, they really make everything pop. I have them on a 90 gallon, 48" long and the 2 of them fit perfectly. There is a picture posted on my thread if you want to take a look at them.

Hopefully someone will pipe in here with their own observations. But, from a technical point of view, here is the basics of antenna transmission (i.e. LED light transmitting antenna, AKA LED bulb)
The lens is rated on the -3dB point, or where half as much light is transmitted as compared to max, or directly under the bulb. So it's not like nothing is transmitted past the 90 or 120 degree points, its just less than half of the peak. But lets aim for the -3dB point.
You tank is 28 inches wide and the fixture is 8.5" that leaves 20" total or 10" per side.
A 90 lens is 45 deg either side of vertical. In a 45 deg RA triangle, width = hieght, so about 10" high would give 10" to the side. But the LEDs aren't right up to the edge, so a couple more inches would give better coverage. 12-13" might be just right.
A 120 deg lens is 60 deg either side, which is a 3-4-5 triangle. So hieght needs to be 3/4 of optimal width. 3/4 of 10" is about 7.5", so at 12" you might get a bit excessive light spilling out the top.

Now, who's got what lenses on their Tao's and hung at what height? I am also curious because I will upgrade sometime and I plan on a 120 and 90 deg lens for my sloping structure.

My brain just exploded lol. JK :ROFLMAO: I never thought to do it mathematically. the lights will be on top of a canopy so the spilling of light isn't an issue but i would like to get as much light down to the bottom as possible. Right now I'm running MH with PC and don't want my corals to have too much trouble acclimating. The 360 watts of these fixtures is going to make my power bill so much nicer compared to the 1200watts my fixture is pulling now lol. I'm just wondering if the red and greens are for more of a freshwater setup. This is the first time I've gotten into led fixtures other than looking at some on other tanks

90 degree optics will punch through the water better. The red and green are for eye candy IMO. Mine are hung 10 inches above the water.

90 degree optics will punch through the water better. The red and green are for eye candy IMO. Mine are hung 10 inches above the water.

Cool thanks guys/gals. I'm going to go with the 90* lenses. and the standard blue and white leds. Cheaper that way :)

Back
Top Bottom