29 Biocube HQI reef stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Convict, I hope it works for a solid base for a reef, learning as I go. You said you had a flame but took him out? Was it only because it nipped at your corals? Was it often?

The Benny looks like a solid reef choice, will he be fine with a future goby/shrimp pair I plan to add last?

Are the Pygmy angels more reef safe than the dwarf angels?

Thanks Convict, I hope it works for a solid base for a reef, learning as I go. You said you had a flame but took him out? Was it only because it nipped at your corals? Was it often?

The Benny looks like a solid reef choice, will he be fine with a future goby/shrimp pair I plan to add last?

Are the Pygmy angels more reef safe than the dwarf angels?

I think you'll be fine with the rocks you have. Yea it didn't bother anyone in the tank just my zoas and a few other corals. I would watch it nip at my open brain corals and watch the coral close up. It was I'd say, a daily thing so I brought him back.

I think you'll be fine with the rocks you have. Yea it didn't bother anyone in the tank just my zoas and a few other corals. I would watch it nip at my open brain corals and watch the coral close up. It was I'd say, a daily thing so I brought him back.

Okay, I thought about maybe switching the top rock on the left and on the right sides around. Just want to make sure I have a nice amount and layout for the future corals. Hmm **** sorry to hear that... a flame has always been one of my favorites but I am not sure if I feel like taking that risk.

Okay, I thought about maybe switching the top rock on the left and on the right sides around. Just want to make sure I have a nice amount and layout for the future corals. Hmm **** sorry to hear that... a flame has always been one of my favorites but I am not sure if I feel like taking that risk.

I like the way the tank looks now but you do what will make you happy. The flame was a bummer BUT it may have just been me. I know people that have them with no issues. It's like anything else. What works for one may not for another.

Okay thanks Convict, was looking for some feedback on the hard scale since I have never kept corals before.

If I were to add an angel to my current stock of 2 clown Perc & and one six line wrasse, with a future goby... Would that be it or could I add another?

Well here's my BC29 stock list.

2 clowns
2 cardinals
1 orange spotted goby
1 six line
1 hawkfish
1 harliquen shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
1 blood shrimp
2 cleaner shrimp
1 pistol shrimp

Assorted snails and hermits.

I do 5 gallon water changes weekly. I run an MP10 and upgraded the pump to a MaxiJet 1200.

Haven't had issues to date and its been almost 2 years now.

IMO i would try to make more caves with your LR. Spread them from side to side. You dont need a beach on the either side of your aquascape. Create as much surface area to hold future corals and fish. My tank is similar to yours. I got all the same corals you do!! But instead of fish i house shrimps and crabs

Wow Convict that is a gorgeous stock, what did you put in their to replace your angel? Have you had any problem with cleaner shrimp and your corals? I heard they love to steal food from them.

Also, do you guys glue all your frags to the rocks? I have yet to do that, seems awfully permanent!

I glue all my frags down with superglue gel. If I don't, the snails and hermits knock them off and they end up on the sand. They come off with just a pull, actually. So if the coral isn't happy, it can be moved pretty easily.
And BTW, I had a half black dwarf angel in my reef, and it ate zoas, brain, birdsnest, just about any kind of coral I had. And I feed everyday. Had to take half the rock out and redo the rock scape in order to catch it and put it in qt until i got a FOWLR tank going. He lives in the FOWLR now.

When you guys glue your frags what is your process. I have the frag glue, but mushrooms seem to curl up and then fall off the live rock after time. Is it best to just let them lay as they may?

I anchor mine down after im 200% sure that the coral will benefit the most from that spot. I have had a few times where i wish i didnt anchor it there. I had to redo my whole aquascape because of it.

I have a flame angel in mine and i have quite a bit of live rock and corals...no issues.

Do you guys glue underwater? I don't want to take my rocks out just to glue corals to then. What's the steps?

Gosh the angel thing seems such a hit or miss. I even looked into Pygmy angels but heard they nip at sps.

Do you guys glue underwater? I don't want to take my rocks out just to glue corals to then. What's the steps?

Gosh the angel thing seems such a hit or miss. I even looked into Pygmy angels but heard they nip at sps.

I've used the glue and for some reason it didn't work well for me. I also bought the putty which seems to work well for sticking frags to the live rock because it can be molded and it's extremely easy to undo.

Superglue gel works great. Hold the bottom of the frag out of the water and dry off. Add a lump of superglue gel and wait with it out of the water for 15-20 seconds then place where you want it and hold in place for 20-25 seconds. That's it. It'll set a little more under water too. And the frags aren't difficult to remove if you need to move them.

Awesome thank you for that step by step!

Does it ever harm anything in the tank during the process or should I stop the worrying? :)

I would have no issue keeping up on feeding a dwarf angel. I think I would prefer a flame angel to a coral beauty, just personal preference. Is there a difference between the two? Or differing reputations?
2Q==
i deffinetly love flame angels too!! great choice!!:fish1::fish2:

Back
Top Bottom