29 gal - To sump or not to sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt4Us

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Right now we have a 29gal tank, 40lbs LS, 31lbs LR, various critters (approx 12 various snails, approx 7 blue legged hermit crabs), a pipe organ coral, a leather coral, 2 scooter blennies, 2 percula clowns & a green star, BakPak2R skimmer, two power sweep powerheads (160gph rated), & a Magnum HOT 250 (no filter media, used just for water movement). We were thinking about the pluses vs the minuses about changing to a sump system.

How hard would it be to use a sump on a 29gal tank? Is a 29gal really too small to use a sump? Would it be easier to just change tanks to one that's more sump 'friendly'/compatible?

How hard would it be to use a sump on a 29gal tank? Is a 29gal really too small to use a sump?

I don't think so...I have a 20L Reef tank and have been considering for some time putting a 20g sump on it. IMO, there is no down side to a sump (except possibly the expense). It increases water volume, which increases stability, and offers a place to put auxillary equipment, which enhances the beauty of your aquarium. You should check out this article on sumps that Aaron (fishfreek) did... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=20

Would it be easier to just change tanks to one that's more sump 'friendly'/compatible?

Easier?? Maybe, but all tanks can be equipped with an external overflow box, in a matter of minutes. But if your just looking for a reason to upgrade to a larger system, this is as good as any, so I guess my answer is yes, it would me much easier to do with a larger aquarium :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom