29 gallon coral reef move.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bdonaldson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am planning on moving my 29 gallon coral reef tank from my office to my home temporarily.

I want to drill the tank to install a overflow box instead of using a hang on overflow with syphon pump. Do I need to empty out the tank completely? If so, can I use a Rubbermaid container to put everything in until I get the overflow installed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, I'd remove everything first. Yes, you can move everything into totes until its done.

OK thanks. I just wanted to be sure before I actually move the tank. I'm moving some of the corals into my 40B at home but I don't think I can fit them all in there.

Depending on how you've treated your substrate, you may want to replace it after getting it home. All the sloshing and moving can stir up some real nastiness.

Depending on how you've treated your substrate, you may want to replace it after getting it home. All the sloshing and moving can stir up some real nastiness.

I always recommend replacing substrates for this very reason. If you can avoid an issue you should always take that path.

Theres no need to replace your substrate. Throw it all in 5 gallon buckets and rinse it out until the water runs clear through it.

Theres no need to replace your substrate. Throw it all in 5 gallon buckets and rinse it out until the water runs clear through it.

I thought about washing it real good but not sure if that's the way to go. Sounds like you have done this before. Did it work out ok for you?

Yea, I've moved quite a few tanks in my past. I've gotten the totes for fish, totes for live rock and totes for corals.
Got 3 5g buckets for substrate rinsing, ran it clear, and thrown it back into the tank.
The rock is where the majority of your bacteria is at, thats the key stuff you don't want to get messed up. Make sure it stays wet. Once you've rinsed out the substrate with FW, you've either rinsed away or killed whats in it, so your basically starting with new substrate anyways.

I've got 55g drums to make up water that I'll need, get it to temperature and SG the day before, and pump it into the tank, after I have all the stuff in place. Leave a bit of room for the water in the totes, and your off and running.

Yea, I've moved quite a few tanks in my past. I've gotten the totes for fish, totes for live rock and totes for corals.
Got 3 5g buckets for substrate rinsing, ran it clear, and thrown it back into the tank.
The rock is where the majority of your bacteria is at, thats the key stuff you don't want to get messed up. Make sure it stays wet. Once you've rinsed out the substrate with FW, you've either rinsed away or killed whats in it, so your basically starting with new substrate anyways.

I've got 55g drums to make up water that I'll need, get it to temperature and SG the day before, and pump it into the tank, after I have all the stuff in place. Leave a bit of room for the water in the totes, and your off and running.

OK thanks that makes me feel better about going that route. Don't gave the funds to buy new sand right now anyway.

Ok I took most of my coral home and transfered some into my 20 gallon long tank. Today I took all the rock out except for,a couple of pieces that have corals growing on them. I plan on taking the fish home today. I have a big crab in there as well. He hitchhiked in on a order i placed a long time ago he was a tiny little thing then. I'm waiting for the water to settle down so I can start to bag my fish.

Will it be ok to leave the rock out or should I put it back in after I bag my fish.

If you want to avoid bacteria die off, keep the rock wet.

I don't think i want to keep the bacteria because it has to be scrubed really good to get the grass looking algae off and Its shelf rock and i have to break it down into smaller pieces.

Attachments

• 1437162100994.jpg
    1437162100994.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 233
Then take it out and use old tank water mixed in a 1-10 ratio with H2O2 while you scrub it.

OK I was wondering if I should scrub it in regular water or a mixture of both tank water and fresh water. Thanks Sniperhank.

What should I use to clean rock of all contaminates. Is there something I can soak it in that would remove all the contaminates.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking I'm going to have to move this tank without having to recycle it. Time is running out. What would I have to do to accomplish this ta add k. Keep in mind that I want to clean the tank, drill it for a internal overflow box and do the plumbing.

Looks like Hank is giving sound advice, I will look more into the thread later when I have a little time Barbara.

Back
Top Bottom