29g biocube stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keithadaniels

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29g biocube with stock lighting that is approximately 3 months old. It's currently stocked with

3 red tipped hermits
Turbo snail
Bumblebee snail
3 Astraea snails

Ocellaris Clownfish
Lawnmower blenny
Purple firefish

Peppermint shrimp
Scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp

Torch coral
Duncan coral
Micromussa
Florida Riccordia

My LFS said to target 1 fish/5g. I'm struggling with what fish to get. I've done research and was thinking of some kind of chromis, most likely the blue/green. I know that they are schooling fish but given my current setup I don't think it would be good to push the bio load to get 3 since that will bring the fish count to 6. And I will be getting more coral.

Another option I was thinking about was to try to introduce another Ocellaris Clownfish and 1 chromis.

My goal was to add a blue fish that is not shy but will be a good and friendly community fish.

Any advice on fish total and the choices I'm considering or other fish recommendations based on my goals, tank and current set up would be appreciated. This is my first saltwater tank.

Thanks

With chromis they tend to die off and leave only one anyways so why not just skip that and get one. They do look nice and are active swimmers. You could always get a blue tang, kidding folks chill. You could always take a shot with a dwarf angel though I'm unfamiliar if there is one suitable to a 29g. There always the ever popular goby shrimp pair which would be neat to show people though not as active. I do have to agree with the get another clown idea but I suggest mixing it up and going for a mix race relationship. If your current clown is orange then get a black one. For more ideas on fish you could have check out liveaquaria.com, they have a nice layout that's easy to navigate and they provide all the info you want to know right there. I'm sure you could find something you like on there, whether it's a wrasse or goby or whatever else. Just make sure it's reef safe as your corals are important too.

With chromis they tend to die off and leave only one anyways so why not just skip that and get one. They do look nice and are active swimmers. You could always get a blue tang, kidding folks chill. You could always take a shot with a dwarf angel though I'm unfamiliar if there is one suitable to a 29g. There always the ever popular goby shrimp pair which would be neat to show people though not as active. I do have to agree with the get another clown idea but I suggest mixing it up and going for a mix race relationship. If your current clown is orange then get a black one. For more ideas on fish you could have check out liveaquaria.com, they have a nice layout that's easy to navigate and they provide all the info you want to know right there. I'm sure you could find something you like on there, whether it's a wrasse or goby or whatever else. Just make sure it's reef safe as your corals are important too.

Thanks for the tips. I've researched on liveaquaria and other sources. I like the chromis and read similar advice but not when starting with less. So it's good to get confirmation on getting one. I thought that 2 different clowns would not do well together?

Different types of clowns won't get along. But you can get say orange and white or black and white percula clowns and they will get along. You can't mix like a percula with a maroon or clarkii for instance...

Some dwarf angels are reef safe, others are not. I may get a dwarf angel as well. A Pygmy angel, although shy, may suit you...

I wouldn't risk any dwarf angel with those tasty corals you have. Plus they swim far to much for a biocube. The chromis and other clown would e fine

Back
Top Bottom