2nd Coral!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK. Let me show some pics of what I have going on with my tank. As far as room for lights and what not...

If you buy or build a canopy, you can easily mount enough t5 bulbs for corals, I would also recommend losing the glass tops.

Yea I wish there wad a way to cut the black plastic top off so I could just put eggcrate over the whole thing. The reason I have the glass there is so my fish don't jump out and to protect my light for getting wet

Mounting the lights to the top of a canopy is going to put them 3-4 inches from the water, they may get some salt creep, but not likely to get wet. Most people put nothing between the lights and the water. While some fish will jump, most won't you just have to research your fish before you buy.

They say my wrasse may jump that's why I was thinking egg crate. But it seems um gonna need at least a 4 bulb fixture to have the correct wattage for my 35 gallon. And this is a problem because I have that built on plastic top that's gonna block a lot of light. Any ideas???

paul87 said:
They say my wrasse may jump that's why I was thinking egg crate. But it seems um gonna need at least a 4 bulb fixture to have the correct wattage for my 35 gallon. And this is a problem because I have that built on plastic top that's gonna block a lot of light. Any ideas???

I didn't look closely enough at the pictures, I see now its a flat back hex. I would look into either a different tank, that will fit on the same size stand or look into having a custom frame built for the top of the tank without the light blockage. A new tank is probably cheaper.

Yea that's what I figured that's why I haven't messed with it. I did cut some eggcrate to fit the front opening. Gotta wait on the lights in broke. :( Looked at some ballasts at Lowes they had t8 and t12 but none 36" which is what I need. Are the lights and ballast interchangeable as far as t5 t8 and t12??? Thanks for all the replies by the way. Greatly appreciated.

paul87 said:
What kind if bracing was to talking about? Just to hold the egg crate or?

The bracing I was talking about was to hold the tank together. Lots of rectangular tanks have a center brace that prevents the tank from bowing. Because of the additional panels on your tank, it may not work out. A wider lip may add additional bracing, but when you start messing with the structural integrity of the tank...your asking for a flood. It's better (and most times cheaper) to get the proper equipment, even if you have to wait a bit.

Yea I hear ya. That's what I was thinking. The actual brace that goes across actually saggs a bit into the water. Dunno how much it it really it bracing it but It would suck so bad if the tank collapsed apart. What could I do with the lighting? I could get more led strips but that wouldn't increase the wattage much.

Without altering the top of your tank, you could fit a 2-bulb, maybe a 4- bulb, T5 on the back. And a couple more LED strips on the front. Just look at the sizes of some of the T5's , width wise on their specs.
With a 4-bulb and some LED, I think you'd be able to keep any LPS or softies, with some SPS on the top of your rocks.

I could see a 2bulb working and that's about it. If I raise it too much most of the light wont shine in the tank. So I'm thinking I can get a 2 bulb t5 and raise it about 2 inches and just have glass under the actual light fixture to prevent any water from getting in and having all the back opening egg crate as well. Believe it or not I think my torch coral it trying to amp back up. I sucked all the brown jelly off (real easy to do when it falls of its skeleton btw) and the small rock hole I stuck it in it seems to be extending out of it. It took some food too. Maybe it attached itself to that crevice. I hope it pulls through. Its on top receiving the most light possible with what I've got. U think 2 t5s and 2 led strips will work out?? BTW the led strip I have is adjustable. I have it attached on the front pointed to the center of the tank which I'm sure helps. Yellow polyps and mushrooms still doing great and a I got dragon eye zoa frag from my buddy today. Ill post pics tomorrow. I figure this reef thing out eventually. It'd expensive!!!

paul87 said:
I could see a 2bulb working and that's about it. If I raise it too much most of the light wont shine in the tank. So I'm thinking I can get a 2 bulb t5 and raise it about 2 inches and just have glass under the actual light fixture to prevent any water from getting in and having all the back opening egg crate as well. Believe it or not I think my torch coral it trying to amp back up. I sucked all the brown jelly off (real easy to do when it falls of its skeleton btw) and the small rock hole I stuck it in it seems to be extending out of it. It took some food too. Maybe it attached itself to that crevice. I hope it pulls through. Its on top receiving the most light possible with what I've got. U think 2 t5s and 2 led strips will work out?? BTW the led strip I have is adjustable. I have it attached on the front pointed to the center of the tank which I'm sure helps. Yellow polyps and mushrooms still doing great and a I got dragon eye zoa frag from my buddy today. Ill post pics tomorrow. I figure this reef thing out eventually. It'd expensive!!!

Well the Torch sounds promising. I've heard of other types of LPS surviving after becoming detached, so it is possible.
With a 2- bulb T5 and another LED, you would be able to keep any softies, and most LPS, higher up on the rocks. You can really fill a tank with these 2 types of coral.
Best of luck with the Torch! :)

Thanks man. I really like the torch. Wanna see it get big and possibly my clown host it. I really like the zoanthis I got too. Like to see a small carpet if it. Any advice on these?

Zoos are a pretty hardy soft coral. They like moderate flow and low-med light. They don't require any special feeding, and can spread well in the right situation.
For some reason Zoos and Ricordia don't fair well in my tank. They stay alive for years, but don't proliferate like I hear so much from other people. I think I might just have too much light for them, not sure. SPS and LPS do great! Other types of mushrooms too, just not Ricordia, which really blows, because they are pretty much my favorite shroom.
Zoos and mushrooms would be a great place to start for you!

Back
Top Bottom