320g build/journey/experiment :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I second Sweet :) What is your mesh made of, fiberglass?

Edit: Also, what thinkness acrylic so that it doesn't want to bow with strips that narrow?

I second Sweet :) What is your mesh made of, fiberglass?

Edit: Also, what thinkness acrylic so that it doesn't want to bow with strips that narrow?

The mesh is made of some kind of plastic... it's clear. The acrylic is 1/4" thick by 1/2" wide... and there is a slight bow in it... partially because I don't have a big flat table that I can square everything up before clamping. If I was making a smaller lid then the 1/4" would have been perfect but if I had to start over I would have gone with some slightly thicker stuff.

If it's large enough to sit on your tank's frame, I guess some bow won't matter. I was trying to think of something that wouldn't bow but unless it's metal, give anything length, it will start to bow at some point.

If it's large enough to sit on your tank's frame, I guess some bow won't matter. I was trying to think of something that wouldn't bow but unless it's metal, give anything length, it will start to bow at some point.

Even metal will bow at some point... they just make the shapes of the metal to resist bowing. If I had gone 1" width it would have helped too but I didn't want that much more space being covered. There is about 1/4" bowing in the center of the 3' piece... and it's only bowing because I pulled it tight if I had let it be lose there would have been ripples in the mesh but the sides would have been strait. I could also put a brace in the middle but I don't care about the 1/4" gap on the sides.

Nice job. A note of caution. On my first netted, I made the mistake of having the lights to close to the netting and within 4 months time the netting got brittle and started to flake off.

Nice job. A note of caution. On my first netted, I made the mistake of having the lights to close to the netting and within 4 months time the netting got brittle and started to flake off.

Thanks for the note. I'm not sure if this netting would be okay under MH and I'm not sure I would use it if that's what I had. I'm hoping that it will be okay under my LED's... but the brittle sounds more like UV damage then heat so I will have to wait and see. Thanks again for your impute. You have lots of knowledge and experience, that is an asset and I am lucky to have you watching out for me :D

nice project. :popcorn: looking forward to the end result.

Welcome aboard and welcome to AA. I hope that you don't mind waiting cause the "end result" is a long way off... but water should be in by the end of the summer :D

thincat I went looking for a build thread of yours that documents your tank.... got tired of clicking all the threads you have started... could you toss me a link?

Well i may not use arcirlic. I was thinking wood but not sure. I do have to work around pvc pipes and a hob skimmer. But now i have a general idea. Once i see something i can work with it and adapt it to my needs

thincat I went looking for a build thread of yours that documents your tank.... got tired of clicking all the threads you have started... could you toss me a link?
I have never put up a build thread.:rolleyes:

Well i may not use arcirlic. I was thinking wood but not sure. I do have to work around pvc pipes and a hob skimmer. But now i have a general idea. Once i see something i can work with it and adapt it to my needs

I used aluminum for the frame (home depot diy screen section) and instead of buying screen get bird netting and install it the same way you do the screen. I think I built the tops for my 55 for about $20.

Back
Top Bottom