320g build/journey/experiment :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
good luck finding them in that thing :)

My snails and crabs are often hard to find in my 55g. Although I do enjoy watching them!

I will wait a week then I will try and find life again... if I do I will buy more.
The first time my hermit changed shells I thought he was dead... and my snail was hiding I went through 24 hours of depression... but then he appeared. Now I will watch for a week or more and when they show up again I will buy more.

So... I got my controller today WOOT! But I didn't get to set it up. I was working on modifying my cooling system for my lights... because I "Need" my lights right now.
Why would I need my lights you say. Because I got a piece of plate coral (broken off not sure of type... still needs to color up maybe?) I also got a branching coral that is not properly attached to the puck... but it's all good.

A point of interest... these pictures were taken with my video camera and the color is way off... but here you go.
img_1304819_0_31eac28c3eda05f8ffc41b2d7c240f5c.jpg

img_1304819_1_eb0e349cb4ca1e60a2ed1941be68112d.jpg

P.S. I know they will die and I know that they will not be happy. But since I'm new to corals I kinda want to see what they can survive/how long.
Also I'm running on less then half my LED's so they might not be getting enough light. New LED's are in shipping as I type this.

WOW... that took a long time... I finally got my Apex set up... 21 outlets to program... but I need to add some programing to 12 of them. My tank is now going to have a sun rise/set based on time of year, Temp swings like they are supposed to, Moon lights, doing the time/brightness. Cooling systems coming on when they are needed for my lights. Lights shutting off if they get too hot (to prevent them burning out again)

All and all I'm happy so far... Time for fish :D

Wow! I didn't know lights were capable of doing all of that. That would be super sweet but overkill for me and too much on my budget.

That will be so fun to watch.

I've also heard of LED systems that dim in spots to replicate clouds moving across the tank. Very cool stuff but very much out of my budget lol

.... I don't have any cloud "stuff" because this was a DIY lighting system... But the apex is what does all the on/off of the lights. I just have "zones" that turn on/off independently. I have 12 zones in total. If I care to make the lights turn on/off more gradual in the future, I could make a total of 60 zones but that would take another 6 EB8's... so it's not on my to do list. For my 12 zones I have 5 blue 4 white and 3 warm white.

Ahh sorry I haven't read the whole thread. I've been looking at a lot of LED lighting. As much as I would like it its just not practical right now. Was the DIY route significantly cheaper ?

If you know how to barter... I would say a resounding yes. And even if you don't it will still be a bit cheaper I'm sure. How much cheaper is hard to say... it depends on if you are going to be doing the same light power or if you are going to be going slightly stronger/way stronger.

I took a bunch of pictures of my different stages of lights... but it didn't go too well... I think I'm going to make a video and edit out the waiting times between the lights going on/off and then post that rather then 13 pictures.

But I have Fishies!
My starfish.
img_1307796_0_fa77698f75bf6a0ce37bbf7c32094787.jpg

A couple pictures of my mated pair.
img_1307796_1_c96a9a5fd9cf950e6ee9eaccabc0e120.jpg

img_1307796_2_50483e11cfc41e1034db1fb8b995f800.jpg

I spent the entire weekend reading this build and watching your videos. So far you must have a great feeling of accomplishment. This is truly an inspiring post, well done for you sir. Even though its been along time for you and i'm only just hopping on for the ride. I can't wait for the finished showcase, and I can only imagine how you feel. Beautiful Job!!! I tip my hat you sir and many bows from the crowd I am sure.

So I thought I would post a quick video of my lights turning off at the end of day.
The LEDs turn off slowly to simulate a sunset (or in morning sunrise) The start at a different time every day depending on the time of year, the time between the first set and last set turning off is the same all year though. I have 12 sets of LEDs with each set having 5 LEDs. This is the order of the LEDs shutting off. W = White at 6700k, WW = Warm White at 3000k, and B = Blue. At 0 min W, 1 Min W, 2 Min W, 3 Min W and a WW that should have gone off at 6 Min, 4 Min WW, 8 Min WW, 11 Min B, 15 min B, 19 Min B, 23 Min B, and the last set of LEDs turns off at 28 Min and is a B.
This is the times that the LEDs shut off in the edited video.
Sets of white (6700k) LEDs turn off at 11 seconds, 21 seconds, 25 seconds, and 36 seconds.
At 37 seconds a set of warm white (3000k) LEDs turn off (programing error)
The other sets of warm white LEDs turn off at 45 seconds and 52 seconds.
The blue LEDs turn off at 1:04, 1:11, 1:15, 1:26, and 1:34.

LEDs

Coheed song would have been cool. Or because it was a demonstration of your lights you coulda done house of the rising sun, due to the title, lol.

Back
Top Bottom