320g build/journey/experiment :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They might try to pick off the parasite after it erupts thru the slime coat, but by then the damage has been done to the fish. I don't think they can help much...but better than nothing.

... quoted from a mail order website. "The skunk cleaner shrimp is an extraordinarily versatile little shrimp that is perfect for most reef tanks, and also for many fish-only tanks without fish that pose a predatory risk to crustaceans. They are omnivorous scavengers, eating almost anything, but are most-well known for their symbiotic relationship with many fish. When a fish comes down with Ich or other types of skin problems, the fish will swim up next to the shrimp and patiently tread water while waiting for the shrimp to clean its body of parasites. For the shrimp's part, it is usually quite diligent and will pick dead skin and necrotic material off the fish, keeping it disease free. This is a fascinating behavior to watch, not to mention practical in a reef tank where Ich outbreaks can threaten fish, but most Ich medications will kill off corals. The cleaner shrimps will be less shy if kept in 2-3 member groups; they will establish their own "cleaner stations" on live rock and fish will know where to seek them when they require their services."

I enjoy watching the one I can see clean the fish.

They might try to pick off the parasite after it erupts thru the slime coat, but by then the damage has been done to the fish. I don't think they can help much...but better than nothing.

Picking off the Ich and eating it before it can drop into the sand to multiply is a ton of help. Its not usually the first wave of Ich that kills the fish, it's the second/third/fourth waves... where a fish starts to get drained.

I have been trying before now but they seem to get camera shy. As soon as I get it I will post it. I may buy a few more so they can set-up as a group... I would like a "cleaning station"

There is far less downside with cleaning shrimp and wrasses than any chemical solution. I have also heard that the number of filter feeders in the tank can have some effect?

My powder blue tang had a couple good cases of ich didn't take long for the shrimp and the cleaner wrasse to have him all cleaned up. They seem to work great. It only took a few hours for the wrasse to start cleaning after he was added.

Ich sucks!
But i agree that it is not the first wave of ich it is the second or third maybe even 4th wave. The ich drops off the fish and multiplies and swims around the tank looking for another fish to get on.

There is far less downside with cleaning shrimp and wrasses than any chemical solution. I have also heard that the number of filter feeders in the tank can have some effect?
Filter feeders would have some effect but I think you would need a ton in order for it to make any noticeable difference. (not sure on this one though)

Hmm, I didn't have any luck with the cleaner shrimp method, but having like 5 of them might work well. Hopefully it doesntcome to that for you. Ihavnt quarantined many fish myself. But when I get Tangs I will for now on, just to be safe. Goodluck

Ya... I wouldn't get tangs without some kind of active cleaner... I had a Coral Banded Shrimp, and they are known to clean some times but not always... I got 3 cleaners with my 5 tangs and at one point I saw the two that arrived alive set up their own "cleaning station" and the tangs went there quite a bit in the first two days... but I never "saw" any signs of Ich.

Hmm I'm glad I just read this, never even thought of it! Our achilles is still fighting with ich and I know quaranteeing would kill him since he is such a jittery fish. A cleaner wrasse might just help him fight it off.

I have read that cleaner wrasse have a very short life span and aren't really suited to aquarium life. I was looking into 1 for my tank as well. If anyone has had luck keeping them alive, I would love to hear.

Yah I've heard/experienced that as well. We had one a long time ago and if I remember correctly we couldn't get him eating regular foods. It's worth a shot if he helps out my achilles though.

I have a school of yellow wrasses, they will do a bit of fish cleaning, but nothing like a cleaner shrimp. My tank is loaded with filter feeders and I haven't seen ICH in many years.

Yah I'd really like the try the cleaner shrimp instead of the cleaner wrasse but we have a coris wrasse and I think he would eat the shrimp, I've never tried to put any in though.

0o.Kelsey.o0 said:
Yah I'd really like the try the cleaner shrimp instead of the cleaner wrasse but we have a coris wrasse and I think he would eat the shrimp, I've never tried to put any in though.

Yellow coris or red coris. I've read the yellow are more reef safe. Mine hasn't bugged anything yet. Then again he's still pretty small.

When I asked my LFS about the cleaner wrasse and tangs, 2+ tangs is usually needed since they mostly eat parasites. Its very hard to get a cleaner wrasse to eat other food

I have had my cleaner wasse since November. Eats ich, algae sheets(I think), misis shrimp. For a while when my powder blue was having fun with ich he even had bit of a gut on him.

That's good to hear because I really like them. I had one years ago, but he only lived for about a year. I have a small school of yellow wrasses and would like to add a cleaner. Do wrasses like to fight? My little wrasse school gets along with everyone on my reef so far.

Back
Top Bottom