320g build/journey/experiment :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice looking rock. How did you cure it?
Thanks. I haven't cured it yet... Just did a 2 day rinse to get the slat out. I plan on placing it in the ocean near my house for a month or two.

Nice. Some nice coral places too. :)
Ya I have plans for some nice corals... still waiting to find out about some dry rock too... but I may just make some more.

I'd like to see how that ocean dipped DIY rock turns out!

Ya but my ocean is cold... so when it comes out I got to dry it then wash it... or just dry it then use to run my cycle...

If you use it to cycle your tank fresh from the ocean, you would be amazed at the life it will have.

Even with a local water temp of 60-70 F? (those are summer temps... winter temps are closer to 40 F)

OOPS!!! I forgot that you are from that "Other" Country. Way up North!!! :)

LOL not that far north... I'm like 3 hours from WA. Ocean temp's here are about the same as WA. But living here costs over twice the price for shipping... so that's why I'm doing DIY rock and more then I had originally planned.

Yeah, I did my DIY rock over 2 years ago and it was fun, and also makes good sense(cents) pund intended. I came up with the Oyster shell/sand mix and it really makes good rocks with lots of surface for bacteria and you get the shapes that fit your tank.

My next batch will be cured in the ocean and then I'll see the different sealife on it.

Nice. Ya my formula is 3 part oyster shell, 1 part reef sand, 1 part white portland cement, mix it all with a little water then add 1 part salt (I used water softener salt, some pretty large chunks makes for very light as well as being more porous)

Yeah that salt would make for some large holes and good drainage. Although the Oyster shell alone is pretty good.

Yeah that salt would make for some large holes and good drainage. Although the Oyster shell alone is pretty good.
Ya the oyster shell is pretty good. One problem about the salt is you can't make too thin of shapes with the rock... especially if it has to hold any weight. The salt greatly reduces strength, but I found that 3/4" thickness seems pretty strong anyways. Most of my rock is pretty strong. I made some elaborate pieces that didn't have enough diameter so when I did my strength test they shattered. The salt though also makes the rock 20% lighter. It almost feels like styrofoam (compared to normal rocks...) it seems about half to a third the weight of the average Dry Rock you can buy.

Yes in the many shapes and sizes. I sent one last e-mail to 4 diff companies so we will see what comes of it.

Thank you thincat... I am trying to make a tank that will be that success story on the net "over all that is BS" but I plan on trying some things I will be adding slowly and my LFS will take back fish if my compatibility doesn't work (as long as they survive till they sell it) at full price. (I am buying lots of fish from them) I was asking about order of introduction and needing to be introduced at the same time... I will try to introduce the dotty's as close together as the tank will allow.
I was reading through this post and just thought about this. In a reef setup with lots of LR you will never be able to catch your
non-compatablilty fishes, you already are going to have very little headroom as it is.:confused:

... true.. sort of... most of my rock pieces have a cave... they go in the cave I cover it and take the fish out with the rock... and I will also be using a snorkel to breath while I catch the fish.

Back
Top Bottom