35 Gallon Seahorse Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have any advice on a 35 Gallon Seahorse FOWLR tank? After research i think i could keep 8 Tiger Tail Seahorses, what are your thoughts? Also, i would like to house a few Ocellaris Clow's. Still new to the saltwater side of things so give me some advice.

Seahorses are hard to keep. They need a species only tank. I wouldn't want to keep more than 2 in a tank that size. You should do some more specific reading on seahorses if you plan on keeping them successfully.

I could tell you that I have 8 in one tank that size and parameters are perfect and they all eat and they are breeding too. Clowns need anemones and they sting seahorse and shouldn't be put with them.

I also have a refugium with lots of macro and live rock which help it a lot. I did put carbon and phosphate pads in the micron bag. Al levels are good and cleaned every other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I could tell you that I have 8 in one tank that size and parameters are perfect and they all eat and they are breeding too. Clowns need anemones and they sting seahorse and shouldn't be put with them.

I also have a refugium with lots of macro and live rock which help it a lot. I did put carbon and phosphate pads in the micron bag. Al levels are good and cleaned every other day.

Clowns do not need anemones.

In regards to a seahorse tank, I have gathered from speaking to my LFS, however never had one before, they are best as species specific tanks. Minimal flow, with plenty of things for them to wrap themselves around. For instance, a gorgonian coral, or my LFS even has tall plastic plants in their tank believe it or not...

My LFS has sea horses, they have a think net in the tank for them to hang out on. It sounds odd but it looks really cool. They have very minimal flow and house them with pipe fish. They said they are slow eaters so that can cause problems of house with others

Back
Top Bottom