35G Hex Set Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zanotti

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been looking at a 35 gal hex tank and stand. It is exactly the right size for a location I have available, and I really like the idea of having a surround look at a stack of LR in the center.

Now I know that this is not optimal, even crazy since the height/ diameter ratio is all challenging. I also know that it sub optimal in size, but I am moving forward.

I couple questions:

1. Lighting. The set up comes with a simple flo bulb, obviously unacceptable. The size is only 20" across. I saw a Coralife Deluxe Series 1x96W Coralife Aqualight Power Compact hood w/ Quad 50/50 -Square 2 cooling fans that looks good. Can anybody comment if this is enough light for the LR and maybe some polyps? No corals, but want some life in there too.

2. Filtration: I would put in 40+ pounds of LR ( from LR.com, of course!) and use maybe two powerheads to increase circulation. I like a canister filter to keep particulates out, and maybe a remora skimmer - if it fits inside the hood with a little cutting. I dont get how you can use LR plus skimmer and still remove the particualates spit out by the snails and crabs. Comments?

3. Canister filter: Thinking about a Fluval and taking out the bio balls and running carbon and pads. Maybe some calk too. Comments again?

4. I have been using Carib Sea Aragonite in my other tank with some success, but don't really have much that stirs the sand. Anybody happy with this setup for a burrowing fish? How deep?

I love the site, and think you guys have some great input. I have had a ball reading for the last month and think I have learned a lot. Thanks to all for any replies, no matter how simple - they all help!

Z :D

Oh you found the right guy. You're doing exactly what I've already done. Check my gallery for pictures of my Hex.

I started by cramming 7 regular flourescent tubes across the 2' top....they were just regular florescents and not enough to keep corals. I then upgraded to a MH pendant with 2 small PC actinics. Corals are happy now.

I ran with a hang on skimmer for many years, but finally decided to put in a small 10 gal sump, which now holds the skimmer and heaters. The Hex is only getting circulation from my Mag 7 return and a Rio 600. I'm working on installation of a SQWD on the Mag 7 return.

I don't have any comment on the use of a Canister filter, but I'm dripping Kalk 24/7 and not having much trouble. Well, I'm having a bit of trouble with Ca depositing on the heaters and in the pumps....

I got my rock from LR.com. Since they knew I was working on a Hex, they sent me ONE 20lb rock, which occupies the entire centre of the Hex...almost all the way to the surface. The fish enjoyed the swim around the rock but they weren't happy about the lack of hiding spots. If your centre formation is made up of smaller rocks there will be lots of spots the fish will like for sleeping. However, if you try to make a central column out of many rocks make sure you secure them together or they will inevitably slide downward over time.

35 Hex

I thought about going with the one dramatic rock approach, but am now leaning towards asking them for lots of small stuff and making an interesting rock formation against the back wall and out 1/3 of the way into the tank.

Nice job on the lights. I am worried about the heat output from that much. Ever seen the Coralife unit? Its between the stock low output flo light and what you have. I'm trying to stay away from MH if I can.

I just want many inverts and a few cool fish. I have a nano now with a damsel and a cleaner shrimp and all the cool stuff like crabs and mini featherdusters and worms. Did you get lots of this on you LR?

Z

Oh yes..tons of interesting things on the LR from LR.com

Just about any lights will do the trick if you envision only fish and some inverts. I may know the Coralife fixture that you mean. I think I purchased two of these, dismantled them and installed them to the right and left of the MH. Real small...the bulbs might be only 6" long.

The MH does have an effect on tank temp. That is one of the reasons I added the sump. I've got a ice probe microchiller and fans on the sump. They keep temp under control.

I have done a very similar thing with my 37 gallon cube tank with 40 lbs of LR and a Magnum 350 canister filter.

My system is very stable. as far as lights go, I currently have the standard lighting hood but I will be upgrading to a coralife lunar light hood soon.

I say worry about the filtration, LR and other stuff before you pay to much attention to the lights. by the way, 40 lbs of live rock is a good start, but I think 60 lbs is more like it.

Back
Top Bottom