4 fish 10 gallons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KonvictKeeper said:
Hey Zach, I'm a freshy so I don't know to much about this. I was going to set up a SW tank a while ago and was told by RedSea (who seems to be a VERY knowledgeable SW guy), that I could only have 4 or so small fish in a 30g. I was pretty surprised! I'm used to being able to put 20-25 or so small fish in a 30g! Anyway I know where you're coming from (not liking the small amounts of fish) and I just had to accept it! Maybe you could cross over to the FW side of things and get a boatload of fish ;)

Well i think you can get about 6 if your stock is good and everything fits properly

have i done anything bad yet? also which ones cant go in a 40 cuz im bot getting a butterfly

Which stock list are you referring to lol??

If it's the lemonpeel, maroon clown, wrasse and dottyback stock list, then I think you are ok. I would strongly suggest a tank-bred maroon clownfish to cut down on aggression though, and adding it last. And I wouldn't add any other fish after these four because two already get semi-large.

The one I am refering to is lemobpeel tank bred marion clown wrasse 2 other fish (ideas??)

On the issue of swimming space regarding tangs: I've had the privilege of snorkling in Maui at an atoll and a reef just offshore as well as a reef in the Bahamas and some artificial reefs in the Bahamas. I can tell you from observing the fish there that tangs free roam all over the place and do not anchor themselves over a territory. They also form pretty large schools (20 to 30 fish). The only other fish that I saw do that were large sergeant major damselfish. Butterfly fish I saw in pairs and they also foraged all over the place. Parrotfish roamed either singley or in pairs. Grammas, smaller damsels and blennies seem to stake out a territory and the angelfish I saw (French and Queen) seemed to stay in a pretty finite area although it was pretty big. (Maybe 10' by 10'.) Groupers and morays seem to stay close to their chosen hidey hole.

The fact that they do forage constantly with no home turf is why tangs and butterflys need so much room in a home aquarium. trying to force them to stay in a small space leads to problems with stress to the point hey stop eating and starve themselves.

I'm not sure how foxface live in the wild, but I would guess it's somewhat similar to the tangs and I think Moorish Idols typically live in pairs from what I remember reading and would fall into the same boat.

Most of the other fish we keep tend to have a territory so don't tend to freak out so much when confined in an aquarium. That's my theory anyway, and it seems to hold up to the observations many others have.

Just my $0.02.

so i spent a day thinking about stocking IMO this stocking would be appropriate but if not please be kind, here it goes
1 lemonpeel angel
1 maroon clown
1 dottybcack
1 wrasse of somesort
a school of 3 chromis
1 chocolate chip star fish
1 reef lobster
if something is wrong, please explain

If this is going in a 40g i would think that you have totally maxed out the tank. The angel will get pretty big as well as the clown. You will also need a lid for the wrasse as they like to jump.

If this is fish only you should be ok with the star and lobster, cause that star is NOT reef safe at all.

it would be a fowlr but when you say maxed out does that mean overstocked or appropriatley stocked??

I would go so far as to say overstocked. It could be done but with some work on your part. You want all those fish you're gonna have to be on the tank and keep it clean and fed appropriately. That many fish in that small of a tank can go badly before you know it.

I'm overstocked in my biocube but I rationalize by saying I am working on the tank constantly and that I keep it clean and liveable. I also have the most mellow fish every on there and they arent too big so that helps MY cause. LOL

I u drupes the wrasse or dottyback u would b alright maybe but you would have to keep up on it!

so i spent a day thinking about stocking IMO this stocking would be appropriate but if not please be kind, here it goes
1 lemonpeel angel
1 maroon clown
1 dottybcack
1 wrasse of somesort
a school of 3 chromis
1 chocolate chip star fish
1 reef lobster
if something is wrong, please explain

I would still say this is overstocked...drop one of the larger fish and you should be okay. Getting closer!

What if I don't want to drop a fish but I get a small wrasse like a six line?

Hmm...might be okay. Like what everyone else is saying, however, this will be a MAXED out tank. You're going to be doing water changes galore to keep up with the poo index.

Okay well just letting you know if you got a reef lobster this would probably change many many options you have. You couldnt get a reef, and small fish/shrimp would be in trouble... Just my opinion

Just checking Zach, this isn't going to be a reef, correct? If so, A chocolate Chip wouldn't work. :(

Back
Top Bottom