40 Gal Breeder tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone ever used a 40 gal breeded tank for a reef tank. Is the tank strong enough? Thought the tank would be cool to use because of is dimensions.

Strength should not be an issue, a breeder tank is just called that for it's long low dimensions. This should be a fairly interesting project since you will have more front to back room for rockwork.

I just bought a 40 Breeder to set up for my reef. Reasons why I went with a breeder:

1. Lower!! I can probably pull off some corals without having to go metal Halide lighting and just use Power Compact
2. More room on bottom for aquascaping
3. I like the smaller fishes that stay around the live rock: Gobies, Clownfish, Wrasses
4. More live rock for more inverts!! Love the inverts!
5. Fit PERFECTLY on an old desk I am using for a stand

I am putting in about 30lbs of base rock and 40lbs of live rock to start with.

When I was at Petco last..they had a "Critter Cage" and a 40 Breeder Aquarium. The Critter Cage did seem thinner. It had a lock like thing on the cover. If your has that it is probably a critter cage...and it may no be a good idea. My 40 Breeder tank glass is 3/16" thick. Any smaller than that...you may be in trouble.

I will be starting my process in December. I have the tank and the cover (and the kids decorated it with window cling reef fish..I know...some are upside down...the 18 month old did those stickers and I can't bear to change it...I hope it doesn't happen when it is set up for real).

I use a 40gallon breeder for my reef tank, for the same first 2 reasons that Whitecloud points out.

Do not use a Reptile enclosure to house fish. The glass is very thin and not supported. It will bow out in the middle and put stress on the seams at the corners. Reptile enclosures and meant for reptiles and fish tanks were meant for fish. I want to get a 40 breeder and All Glass Aquariums are pretty good. I have a Black Seal aquarium from them and its constructed very well.

It might hold water at first but remember the bottom is just as thin as the sides. Add 40 lbs of LS, 50 Lbs of LR, and about 20-30 more pounds of water you can see where a problem might arise. So stick with the fish tank and put a ball python in the reptile tank LOL. :D

Damien has a point...was this a 40gallon aquarium used to house a reptile? or a 40 gallon terrerium?

naw was for reptiles...tanks gonna be given to me....don't really want it but thought I may be able to use it for something

Back
Top Bottom