404 as Sump Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crawling68 said:
Since the 404 is just going to be used to keep the crap out of the tank, what should i keep in it. Right now its 2 trays of carbon, and 2 trays of bio media.
Depends on what you have in the main tank. If/once you get rock in the main or even in a fuge you may set up, the biomedia in the 404 will not be needed as much and can be slowly removed depending on what type you're using. Without proper biofiltartion sources within the main tank other than substrate, you should leave the 404 as is for now. Be sure the 404 is cleaned weekly if possible though until things progress. Only use SW to clean the media to preserve the needed bacteria, FW will kill it.

Once/if you get some rock, you should do fine with just one carbon tray and leave the rest empty.

Cheers
Steve

30 lbs in a 55 gal tank is not as much as you might think depending on your bioload. If at all possible I would suggest you add another 30 lbs of either dry base rock or LR. You would then be in a much better position to remove the biomedia from the 404.

Cheers
Steve

Oh, im not done yet. After the sump and new flow system are up and running, i plan to get 40 more from LR.com.

Well, the pumps, overflow, and SCWD are on the way. Im going to have a local shop build the sump/fuge.

If you are worried about the grvity feed thing what you can do i drill a small hole in the siphon line just below the waters surface that way if you lose your pump for any reason the water drains down to the hole you drilled and the air stops the siphon.

Back
Top Bottom