40b ground up build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jester1026

Aquarium Advice Regular
So after some persuasive conversation on my part, management (read wife) has agreed to let me have another tank. I have a 40 breeder just sitting around along with all the equipment that I need to run the new tank. Still need to build the stand and drill the tank though.

I'm thinking about a shallow reef with lots of zoos and shrooms, maybe an lps or 2 and possibly some clams later down the road.

The only thing I'm currently unsure about is which overflow to do:
- drill the bottom and do my own corner overflow, or
- drill the back and put in a coast to coast overflow.

Would love to hear some input from my fellow reefers on the overflow.

So after some research I decided to go with a corner overflow.

Got the tank drilled for the overflow and the return lines. Painted the back and sides of the tank monday after work. Also got the overflow in and all of the in tank plumbing.

image-1352115219.jpg

image-1521732390.jpg

My next big dilemma is this:

I am putting this new tank next to my existing 120 and would love to plumb it into the same system. I have a 20 long under the 120 now but I also have another acrylic sump that is 48(L) x 20(W) x 18(H) that I would like to connect to the 20 long.
I'm looking for some input on the best way to connect the 2 so I can maximize the usable space under the tanks.

Just in case anyone is reading this.

Got the frame of the stand roughed in today after work.

image-3096395562.jpg

Not skinned yet and I haven't drilled the holes
for the plumbing. I have decided to hook both tanks into the same sump system so there will be some interesting plumbing in my future.

Looks good...

So are you attempting to connect both these tanks so it is one entity?

Yeah, I was gonna leave them separate but the more I though about it the more I liked the idea of 1 really big system.
I am going to plumb it so I can isolate each tank if needed. Really can't wait to start that part of the project.

Yeah, I was gonna leave them separate but the more I though about it the more I liked the idea of 1 really big system.
I am going to plumb it so I can isolate each tank if needed. Really can't wait to start that part of the project.

Interesting stuff, I look forward to your progress...

Because is beside my 120, I didn't want any of the light to spill over and possibly cause issues. That and I really just wanted to see how it would look.

So I pose a question to my fellow reefers. I have 2 pumps that I could use for the return pump on the 40 and I'm not sure which one would be better.

I have a mag 7 and a mag 9.5 and I'm thinking with the head loss the 9.5 would give me more flow but would it be too much?

So I pose a question to my fellow reefers. I have 2 pumps that I could use for the return pump on the 40 and I'm not sure which one would be better.

I have a mag 7 and a mag 9.5 and I'm thinking with the head loss the 9.5 would give me more flow but would it be too much?

If you are concerned about head loss, use the 9.5, as you can put a gate valve to tune it down as needed...

Ok then the 9.5 it is.

Another question. As I was wading through the boxes of stuff that I have I came across a SCWD. Would it be worth it to put on the return or should I leave it off?

Ok then the 9.5 it is.

Another question. As I was wading through the boxes of stuff that I have I came across a SCWD. Would it be worth it to put on the return or should I leave it off?

Never even seen one of these before til now, but who am I lol. It APPEARS to be more of a complication than anything, but I'm still a rookie with all this stuff.

So after a long Saturday of measure, cut and glue, and several trips to lowes because I always forget something, it's 90% plumbed. Both tanks are currently running independently until whatever cycle the new tank has is over.
All I have left to do is get another timer strip, clean up the wires and put the skin and doors on.

image-3253323299.jpg

So how are the tanks linked together? is the DT draining into one which drains into the other? Or is the DT going to drain directly into both of them?

Haven't hooked them completely together yet. I am waiting to see how much of a cycle there is in the new tank. Almost all of the rock came out of my other tank and has been in totes for about 2 months cycling some base rock I got for free.
Once everything looks good I will put the new drain lines in on the 120. It will drain to the far end under the new tank and flow all the way to the other end. I will post some new pics when I get home from work.

I would have them both going to the sump on their own drains. I would not want the drain from the 120 coming crashing down into my 40b display. I like the SCWD idea btw. Then you could see how the alternating currents effect livestock, V.S. the 120.

All 3 overflow lines run into the sump separately. I have the return for the 40 and the end of the first sump and the return for the 120 is all the way at the other end.
I didn't hook up the SCWD just yet but I will once my mini cycle finishes.

So as promised, more pics.

image-1400677506.jpg

Plumbing on the 40.

image-3176824124.jpg
Not sure the rock will stay this way but time will tell.

image-3073509595.jpg

And they money shot from the other side of the room.

Back
Top Bottom