44 Gallon Pentagon filtration question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoveLEE143

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I apologize if this has been asked before but I could find no record of it. I have a 44 gallon pentagon with no flow over. This aquarium is going in a corner. I want to set this up for saltwater fish. Without the flow over i can not use a wet/dry filter that does directly under the tank. Does any one know if the bottom of this tank is tempered glass. If not I will cut my own 1" inch holes and make a flow over. If it is tempered glass there is no room on the side to hang the plumbing for a filter without a flowover. Is there any other type of filter that will get the job effectively done. My other thought was going to a glass place and getting a new piece of untempered glass cut and replace the bottom and reseal the tank. I would also have them precut the hole for the tank. I would like to avoid this as it would be a pain in the A#%. Can someone please help me with me problem.

Cutting glass, or tempered glass, is no easy task to do correctly. This is especially true on an assembled fish tank. Taking the tank to a glass place would be your best bet. Then, if they break the tank, it is their responsibility, not yours :D

Anyway, given that you did not even post as to what brand of tank it is, no one is going to know what type of glass is on the bottom :) Most larger tanks DO have tempered glass though. And for a reef tank, you want tempered glass in the event of a rockslide. I would call around in your area and look for glass places that may have aquarium experience.

Most tanks will also have a notice under the tank if the bottom is tempered. We do need to know the make of the tank before we can look up if its got tempered bottom or not. You could do the same by searching google for the tank makers website and see if they say.

I agree with grimlock in that drililng a tank is not a task to be taken lightly. YOu must make sure you dont overheat the glass else it will crack.

I had the same tank. It is tempered. One give away is the tank is pretty tall and made with 1/4 glass.

Sorry for not indicating the aquarium maker. I have spent the past two day at work researching this issue I visited a local glass shop today. I was was told they could make a new bottom for the aquarium for $40, and cut the two 1" inch holes I need. But, I found a canister wet/dry filter by Eheim. specifically the Eheim 2227 or the 2327. I wanted to know if this would be an efficient filter for this size aquarium. I wan to avoid the whole cutting and resealing process. Thank you again everyone this is a most helpful site.

LL -

I've also got a 44 pent that I'm turning into a reef tank. This tank is a beast to work with. Most people don't realize there's not enough room for a sump underneath and no room behind the tank for a skimmer or pre-filter box (unless you defeat the purpose of a corner tank and place it away from the wall).

Lighting is also a PITA. How are you going to light the tank? I'm curious because I haven't found anything that will work, so I'm going to build my own hood with (7) 26w PC fixtures.

Do not use an untempered bottom on the tank. It is made from very thin glass. The glass can be thin due to the tempered bottom. If you use an untempered bottom the tank will be structurally unsafe. Why not drill the back of the tank for an overflow.

Because he wants it totally against the wall. Personally I would get a canister if you are having that much of a prob... the tubing can be kinda smooshed and still work ok... it may be 1/2" from the wall but better than nothing... I agree that you shouldn't change the dinamics of the tank.... 40g of water on teh floor and a shattered tank is probably not most peoples idea of a fun day. Castiners are small so they should fit under the tank... and the hosing isn't very thick. I have a proquatics and I love it... super quiet... self priming... clear filter chamber... works great for my 55 (1600 model) and they have one a bit bigger that will run a larger tank... Also pretty well priced. If you do do a canister I would stay away from Fluval... They seem to have some noise issues as well as bubble and leaking problems.

Back
Top Bottom