45 gallon nightmare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unwritten

Aquarium Advice Regular
What filter should I get for my 45 gallon?

Attachments

• image-705028221.jpg
    image-705028221.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 103
Honestly I'm learning so much with my 20 gallon nano reef I have going I'm not sure what I want to do with this one. I just wanna make sure everything is perfect for what ever I decided to put in there. Any ideas?

I am going to be painting the background tomorrow.

Well I'm partial to Cichlid's, you could do a few Malawi cichlids. Maybe some yellow labs with some orange ones. Or a sick Convict tank? Convicts are very very hardy and IMO are a fun fish to watch. Not colorful but non the less a fun fish.

The 20 gallon in my room is in a processed cichild tank. I like them myself and find it relaxing to keep an eye on. My family is egging me more towards another saltwater. I eventually am looking into a strictly seahorse tank as well.

Unwritten said:
The 20 gallon in my room is in a processed cichild tank. I like them myself and find it relaxing to keep an eye on. My family is egging me more towards another saltwater. I eventually am looking into a strictly seahorse tank as well.

If you like saltwater then by all means make it a real sick reef tank!!

Decide if you want live rocks and/or HOB/canister. You really only need one of them. IMO you should go with the live rocks and skip the HOB/canister. Get a few pounds of live rocks and the rest can be base rocks. 50-60lbs of rocks is fine.

Also you may also want to look into a skimmer and sump (both are available as HOB). Both help keep the water cleaner and perhaps could possibly make less frequent water changes.

I've decided to make it an African chiclids. what would be the recommended filter and what other hardware would I need for their breeds?

HOB or canister filter is fine. You have to really read the reviews of each. I tried both. First I had the HOB. It was good, but I was told by many people that canisters were better. So I went to get a canister. Now I wish I never bought the canister and switched back to the HOB. HOB is just easier to clean on a weekly basis and that is my top priority.

I agree about the hanging on the back filter. I was just wondering what specifications I need for it if any with the Africans. I know the power usually needs to be doubled for a saltwater. I also didn't know if I needed a circulation pump for them or not.

Unwritten said:
I agree about the hanging on the back filter. I was just wondering what specifications I need for it if any with the Africans. I know the power usually needs to be doubled for a saltwater. I also didn't know if I needed a circulation pump for them or not.

A aquaclear 110 would do the trick IMO on your African tank. It gives you many options for media and such, also a small power head on the opposite side IMO would help keep debris from settling on the ground, if you see your fish struggling then just return it but I doubt you'll have that issue. My fish swim into the flow at times. It fun to watch a bunch o fish all facing the same direction and sitting still as they swim against the current, I use one on my 75g African tank along with an fx5 canister and a aquaclear 110.

Again, you do know there is a forum for this. They can better answer your questions and assist you. I would imagine an administrator would move this thread soon.

Back
Top Bottom