45 gallon tank upgrade w/ pics-Updated 2-25-07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
Even though I've had my 29 gallon reef set up for about 4 years now, time has come to upgrade. I was unhappy with the size for a while, just not much to do there! I've had a 45 gallon tall sitting around for a while, so finally started the long, thought-out process of upgrading.

Specs for the new tank, are as follows:

45 gallon tall (36x12x24)
Aqua-C Remora skimmer
2 Aquaclear 70 powerheads
(gonna try 2 of the new Hydor pumps too, I think)
Nova Extreme 4x39 watt T-5 HO

Everything from the 29 is gonna go into it. I must get rid of the tank. :(

Anyways, here are some pics of Day 1

Attachments

• img_1697__medium__192.jpg
    img_1697__medium__192.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 36
  • img_1699__medium__118.jpg
    img_1699__medium__118.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 32
Day 3

Sand has settled and tank looks clear. Hoping to begin moving over some rock today from the established tank.

Parameters as of this morning

NH3-.25
NO2-0
NO3-0
pH- 7.9 (Low cause of the cycle)
Alk - a little high at 13 dKh.

Attachments

• img_1709__medium__160.jpg
    img_1709__medium__160.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 30
Looks good, are you keeping your water level lower to keep salt creep down during the cycle?

Lookin good! I'm really interested in how long the cycle will take, with that established rock.

Thanks guys!

Micah, I was keeping it low so I'd have plenty of room to dig my hands around and add new rock. I topped it off yesterday. :)

I moved over about 80% of the old liverock yesterday. Water parameters this morning are:

NH3- .5
NO2- 0
NO3- 10
pH- 7.8

Odd readings...and I'm questioning my NH3 kit... but we'll see.

I'm still working on the aquascape...evident by the small rocks sitting on the sandbed. :) We'll see what tonight brings.

Attachments

• img_1710__medium__170.jpg
    img_1710__medium__170.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 30
  • img_1712__medium__906.jpg
    img_1712__medium__906.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 30
Hey
Im gonna be doing the same thing you are, iv got a 35 gallon reef tank wiht sand bed and about 40 pounds lr in the tank and another 40 in a rubbermaid that has since turned white. anyway i was thinking when i transfer the sand and water to my new 65 gallon id put the sand in first and slowly, carfully add water so as not to make the water so cloudy.
Is this ok?
or is it nescessary to make the water like that (i did it that way when i started my tank the first time) but now i have a fish i dont think hed like living in that.

And also whats the best way to seed live rock that is cured but has lost valuable organisms?

thanks any help appreciated
keep the pics coming

Looks great DT, I'm a couple of days behind you with my 30 gallon, same lights, very similar setup. Hoping to start moving my LR this weekend.

Thanks guys! I moved everything over tonight. Took me about 3 or 4 hours, but so far everything looks nice!

I kept getting really wacky readings with my test kit, and I couldn't figure out why. I thought for sure that I'd be an instant cycle with my already cycled liverock. I thought I'd test against my already cycled 29 gallon tank for ammonia, and I got the same results. Thankfully, I have a back up kit, the same kit. AP Saltwater Master Test Kit, just bought at different times.

Wow! The colors were soooooo different. On the newer test kit, the color chart was on key for 0 ppm ammonia. I was pleased. :)

I'll take more pics in the morning and post them. I'm quite happy with the way the tank looks now, just hoping the newer lights come in tommorow.

Day 5

About 95% of eveything is moved over to the new tank.

Parameters are

NH3-0
NO2-0
NO3-10
pH-7.9
Alk-13 dKh

Everything is still alive this morning, which is great!

I was hoping the lights would come today as well as the new powerheads and heater, but they didn't. Not yet anyways. Monday I guess. :(

Here are some pics right after I turned the lights on this morning.

Attachments

• img_1714__medium__145.jpg
    img_1714__medium__145.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 33
  • img_1716__medium__110.jpg
    img_1716__medium__110.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 23
  • img_1713__medium__858.jpg
    img_1713__medium__858.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 23
Thanks!

I was full up with corals in the 30, but now I have sooo much more room that it's like... I need to buy corals to fill it up!

Anyways, I was considering a trio of pajama cardinals for this tank. Does anyone have any comment on them? From what I understand, they are rather docile, animated, etc. and reef safe!

Also, I wanted a larger fish to put in this tank, but with it's footprint (36" long, 24" tall, 12" wide) I'm not sure how one would do. Does anyone have any suggetions?

Thanks!

Devilishturtles said:
I was full up with corals in the 30, but now I have sooo much more room that it's like... I need to buy corals to fill it up!

I said the same thing when I switched from my 55 to my 125. Needless to say if you view my tank you`ll see that I`m now looking for a bigger tank. I hope all goes well Lindsay.

Here's a new pic with the T-5's and new powerhead. I'm just ending a diatom bloom, and things seem to be settling down finally!

Do you guys think a school of Pajama Cardinals and a Sixline wrasse would be too much fish for this tank? I want to also add in a sand sifter goby after my sandbed matures a little more.

Things still aren't where I want them yet, but I want to wait and buy some more corals before I decide final resting places for everything.

Attachments

• img_1740__medium__142.jpg
    img_1740__medium__142.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 28
  • img_1741__medium__720.jpg
    img_1741__medium__720.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom