55gal crab tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

idol1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got my 55 gal crab only tank up and running. The crabs are for octopus food! I will be out on the reef in half an hour collecting. Took Me 3 days to put the tank together. Now I only need luck in catching crabs.

I realy need to get a digital camera all the pictures I take with the phone come out junk

I realy need to get a digital camera all the pictures I take with the phone come out junk

that's how I was spent like 1800. and I'm still trying to figure the stupid thing out .
between all the lenses and filters and all the other gadgets on the camera itself
think I just need to go up on the roof and take picts of the continental divide
still got tons of snow up there

Update! Sunset was at 7:10 went on the reef 2 hrs caught about 50 crabs, Put them in the tank. Changed clothes went to sit down to have a beer 10 min later I saw to crabs running across the livingroom caught them after a chase.Went to put them back in the tank and there were about 15 running around the floor. My problem I had cut plastic eggcrate for the top instead of cutting the plexy top. The saly litefoots and the blk. rock crabs climb up the silicone corners and climb through the egg crate. spent half the nite recapturing crabs. Put glass over the ends of the tank. Still have to cut the plexi. Now I used 2 plexy glass turtle platforms attached the egg crate to them using electrical plastic straps. The other end of the egg crate I attached another piece egg crate going down into the tank as a climbing ramp. So the egg crate attached to the turtle ramp is 2 ft long and is just out of the water so are the turtle plat form his way the crabs can sit out of the water and walk on the platform and hopefuly stay in the tank. Octopuses very happy. Day octopus didn't even let the crab hit the bottom of the tank. Nite octopus what a mess! she destroyed 3 crabs had to move her into a new tank this morning. Had to do a full water change and clean out all the left over crab parts. Thats why I always have at least 2 extra aged tanks running at all times and 50 gal of prepared saltwater made. I'm running heavy oxygen in hertank will do another 25% water change run carbon and filterpads.tank will be ready for her tomorrow to get back in and make another mess. This time she only gets one crab! Shes a real pain to take out of the tank she attacks and bites. The day octopus is so good well there like nite and day.

Idol ,... my gf and I vacation in Hawaii every year and obviously love it , we usually venture to the big island and snorkel around a lot ,... last year I was watching these " locals" catching crabs from the rocks using these long cane poles with a 'y ' at the end with what appeared to be a piece of line stretching across the the 'y' ... they would wait until a wave receded and then lower the 'y' down toward the crab which would get snagged and then dropped into a bucket ,...it was fascinating to watch ,..just wondering if that's the same setup you use for catching your crabs ?

That's the Hawaiian way of catching the blk crab. I just use a very bright headlamp. The high power beam freezes the crab and I grab it. I just get realy wet and sometimes battered climbing around the rocks. Since the crabs like the rocks with the break water. My wife is more than 50% Hawaiian and my boys still like doing the traditional way just for fun, And throwing the throw net. My one son dives a night so he gets me butterflies and tangs like unicorns,He knows I only take baby or very young fish.

Back
Top Bottom