55gl reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riley

Aquarium Advice Freak
I purchased a 55gl glass tank and stand from a friend .. Gave the 48" coralife lunar light to my brother for his tank and I am starting from scratch with everything.. I painted the back glass of the tank blue today and it looks great( pictures to follow) I also picked up a nice dark stain for the stand( pictures to follow) I also went to my LFS and picked a aquatop submersible heater ( everything is aquatop now goodbye fluval?) aquatop power head and I ordered and Echopps wet dry sump with overflow box since my tank is not drilled for reef.. After my last post about my 75gl reef many if you pointed out that 2 canister filters are not ideal for reef systems and I am learning my lessons! The tank did come with rock.. Looks like Bali Rock but I prefer Fiji but I will be able to great things with this rock.. I tossed the old sand out today.. This will be a project but I do plan in taking my time with this one! ( the rock is in a 30gl hospital tank so I have no die off ) I am currently on the market for a 48" t5ho quad light.. Don't know if I will buy another coralife from drfostersmith or go with a aquatic life or LED.. (Suggestions please) this tank will be reef tank with minimal fish) .. Forgot to add I bought the Echopps protein skimmer for inside the sump! Not Gunna lie I am pretty excited for this one..

Attachments

• image-462155854.jpg
    image-462155854.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 84
  • image-4231563949.jpg
    image-4231563949.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 76
With the tanks on stands so I can prep and paint I noticed the tag on the bottom.. It was built in march 13 1989 by a company called Mary's ! That's a year younger then me.. I do plan on re siliconing everything becouse I wasn't aware of the warentare of it.. I guess I am asking if anyone would doubt the glass durability or if anything has changed in thickness in the last 24 years haha

Id say if anything they have made the glass thinner. Ive got a old tank, funny cause it was made in 1987 same age as me. The only difference ive noticed was the older tanks dont have a bottom center brace, new ones do. Might just be cause its cheaper then making 2 different parts IMO. I didnt trust it so i just got a new tank from petco during the sale.

Also if you want to really look into it, look up the company history. If they gone out of business cause tank durability thats a red flag. Then again im sure some people have 20+ year old Living reefs which would be a older tank still.

Back
Top Bottom