6.5 watts per gallon overkill??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if 2 96 watt power compact bulbs over my thirty gallon would be overkill. I plan on keeping a lot of different things including high light requiring corals. I just don't wanna have to much lighting if there is such a thing. Any help I would appreciate.

Thanks,
Josh

No, not at all. I have over 8 wpg over my tank. The corals that need high intensity light will love you.

I am soon to have about 10-15 WPG of lighting on my 55gal tank.. 2x250watt MH and 2 or 4 55watt PC havent decided yet..

James

I can see it now in James tank...clams laying around on towels under umbrellas rubbing each other down with Hawaian Tropic....
Seriously, it's hard to get too much light. Especially if you are keeping SPS, anemones, clams, ect...

Well my clam died today so I am going to have to figure out why and go from there.. It seems as though everything that I have bought from 1 LFS has died except the 2 SPS and the Xenia.. I believe that its due to the LFS having everything under 400watt MH and then going into my 330watt pc tank.. Not for long... I decided to go with 250watt because I am going to get a bigger tank soon so why buy 175watt lights knowing that one.. Anyways I hope I have better luck as I have already lost $70.00 in livestock in the last month... ! due to possible Alk problems and the other well who knows.. predators in the tank maybe?? ohwell another Thread another day...
clams laying around on towels under umbrellas rubbing each other down with Hawaian Tropic
Maybe I can lay under the lights as well and get a tan too.. Living in Oregon all we get is rain here... lol

James

Sorry to hear about the clam (loganj removes foot from mouth). I think the only trouble you might run into with the 250's is heat. I'm sure a couple of fans will keep that in check though. The WPG rule doesn't really apply to MH lighting anyway. I think you'll be OK with the 250's on the 55 since it's 18" deep. Kevin has a 175 MH over a 20 long (12" deep tank) and his tank is gorgeous. I'm trying to talk myself (read: trying to talk Kymme into turning loose of the money) into trying a 175 over my 20 high.

I think the only trouble you might run into with the 250's is heat. I'm sure a couple of fans will keep that in check though.

lol... Yeah I dont think the heat will be an Issue as I keep it pretty cool in my house.. During the summer months maybe but lets hope not..

I'm trying to talk myself (read: trying to talk Kymme into turning loose of the money) into trying a 175 over my 20 high.

Logan you might want to check on Ebay for Mh lights.. I picked up my retro 2x250 for 155.00 plus shipping.. I think a single 175mh was only like 100.00 plus the bulb... I spent more on the bulbs than I did on the retro kit :( ... My wife just found out today that I spent almost 400.00 on lights for the tank Again lol One day i am going to wake up missing an organ or arm or something.. BTW on my 29gal I am putting 4x55watt pc lights on it which are coming off the 55gal when the Mh kit comes in.. Nano Reef in the Bedroom.. Yeah!!!

James

Yeah...I have seen those. I have a new wholesaler with some pretty good prices on MH. I have to see if his products are any good. Best way to do that is buy it myself and try it before I offer it for sale to anyone else :mrgreen: . Thanks for the links and info though.

James said:
Logan you might want to check on Ebay for Mh lights.. I picked up my retro 2x250 for 155.00 plus shipping.. I think a single 175mh was only like 100.00 plus the bulb... I spent more on the bulbs than I did on the retro kit :( ... My wife just found out today that I spent almost 400.00 on lights for the tank Again lol One day i am going to wake up missing an organ or arm or something..

James

8O
My husband would faint, and then kill me when he came-to if I spent that much money on a bulb.

Back
Top Bottom