6 line wrasse or royal gramma?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scenicad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm trying to decide on my final stocking list....
Besides some snails, peppermint shrimp, urchins, two porcelin crabs and a red mythrax crab (all crabs and urchins were hitchikers),
I've got two small percula clowns right now.

I want to add two banggai cardinals and a flame or coral beauty angel

I think I'll have room for one more small fish and I can't decide between a 6 line wrasse and a royal gramma.

I know what the books say, but what are people's personal experiences with these fish. Are there any drawbacks to either of them such as troublesome behaviors or eating habits?
Would one fish get along with the others on my list better than another?

I have lots of LR, and hiding places, no corals.

Suggestions?

How big is your tank? I'll try to find your previous posts. Both of those fish are supposed to be fairly docile community fish.

Ok it's a 72. If you go with the cardinals I suggest a few not two. Our coral beauty seems to be doing well(fairly docile), I don't know about flame angels. You should have room for both the wrasse and the gramma if you wanted.

I would do the 6 line. I am not a big fan of the gramma. I have had a couple and I am just not into their personality. They can be real recluse especially with live rock. I like the 6 line. They are more active and seem to have a lot of character. I have never had one but have been thinking about one recently. Not sure if it would work with my flame hawk and canary blenny. My tank is balanced right now and I am scared to death of throwing it off after a 4 month bout with ICH

Do the cardinals do better with an odd number, or need to be in more of a group?
What happens with two? And would just one be ok?

With the 6 line, I think I had read a post about them being jumpers. I don't know if that's true or not, or if I'm just remembering wrong. I do have a glass top that I can keep closed, but I like to leave it open during the day for oxygen exchange and to keep the temp down.

I would favor a fish that's more active over one that I'll never see however.

I wouldnt recommend the gramma i have 3 of them in my 125gal and i really dont like them. Like it was said in the earlier post they are not very active and are suppose to be "friendly" towards other fish and themselves and i dont believe that and their personality sucks IMO.

I disagree on the gramma. I have one and I see him most of the day. He generally stays around the same area but he is fun to watch explore and is an absolutely brilliantly colored fish.

I keep both a 6-line and a royal gramma, with 2 false percs in my 40g breeder. I find that they are both equally reclusive, but docile. The gramma is a little more skittish during feeding time...he waits for food to fall near him, rather than eat with the other 3 at the surface.
Both are pretty fish, but I love the intense purple and yellow of the gramma a little more than the 6-line.

Hmmm.....well, so far, maybe I'll go with the 6 line and if my water looks good I'll add a gramma later. I've never actually seen a 6 line in person, but in pictures they look pretty cool.
It would be great not to have to choose..... :fadein:

Back
Top Bottom