60g fish only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
Decided to hold on the nano reef until I learn more about salt water aquaria. My 60g has regular T5 lights, Rena xP3, 250w aquion elite heater. Can I do fish only and a few live rocks to gain experience? Do I need a T5HO fixture. Not doing coral yet. What kind of stock is cool with a 60.

Here is the deal, my wife will only let me do this (as I have a 100g freshwater tank already) if the fish are completely unique. She likes the tangs, clowns, triggers, ect. I will not overstock, but want feedback on if any of these fish will work.

As far as equipment you dont need the T5HO yet if you are not going to have corals. As far as the LR why dont you get some base rock which is much cheaper and will become live over time. As far as the three fish you mentioned the clown is the only one that will work in a 60 gallon. Maybe one of the bristle tooth tangs.

If your looking for "unique" fish for that size tank id reccomend gobies, dartfish, or dragonettes which all leave the option to go reef..but for fowlr an angler tank would be very unigue. Maybe an angler and an eel or even maybe a fu man chu lionfish (my favorite :)..)

Alright, thanks, how about this. I just found this on Craigslist for 180$. It is 100g and I am going to buy it this weekend. Im getting excited, that lion fish is awesome. The wife has shown some intrest in mabye some sort of colorful angel, and a tang mabye? I plan on doing a 2-3 month cycle with some damsels.

I have a coral beauty angel in my 55 gallon and she does fine. My tank is drilled tho and I recommend you do that

Luvbugg654 said:
I have a coral beauty angel in my 55 gallon and she does fine. My tank is drilled tho and I recommend you do that

Well I have a Rena xp3 ready for it, but I would like to do a DIY sump. I see out of tank overflows on eBay. How would I go about getting this glass tank drilled?

I bought mine pre-drilled and it was used. I know some lfs will drill for you. Also I know people whom have drilled themselves. Google it and in sure stuff will come up.

That web page is awesome. In going to order the 1500gph overflow kit. Thanks alot for showing me this! Question in the angels/tangs/clowns/damsels ect. Since I am planning fish only at the moment. They do not require a reef tank. I am planning on doing some live rock and lace rock for caves ect.

If you might go reef in the future, I'd suggest getting reef safe fish if possible. If you still want reef and get non-reef safe fish you may be able to return them to your LFS for credit. Just a thought.

Also, good idea on doing base and live. Much cheaper than going full live rock. It will all become live after awhile.

True, so fish like the clowns (if I decide to do reef fish) will be ok with a reef setting? My only reason for not attempting a reef yet is I am active duty military and can move at anytime. Although I am expecting to be settled for a few years.

Well im gonna be honest! I have 2 clowns on a fluval edge which is a 6 gal tank! And i have spotted the temperature at 90 degrees F. And they are still alive and well!!!! I was stunned to see them fine! Im in puerto rico so the weather here changes every time!! And summers are so hard!! Plus here the energy costs a lot more so we cannot have like a/c all the time unless spending on expensive a/c inverters!! So to resume everything clowns are so cool to watch! They are vivid, not difficult to have and may be you can breed some too if you want it later!! :)

angelvelez87 said:
Well im gonna be honest! I have 2 clowns on a fluval edge which is a 6 gal tank! And i have spotted the temperature at 90 degrees F. And they are still alive and well!!!! I was stunned to see them fine! Im in puerto rico so the weather here changes every time!! And summers are so hard!! Plus here the energy costs a lot more so we cannot have like a/c all the time unless spending on expensive a/c inverters!! So to resume everything clowns are so cool to watch! They are vivid, not difficult to have and may be you can breed some too if you want it later!! :)

Well I really like the clown fish. Thank you for your picture also! It's good to know they are hardy!

Ok do here us my stock list idea. Please criticize (add/minus).

Coral beauty angel
Australian black clown
An orange clown (nemo)
Yellow Tang
2 mandarins
3-4 blue damsels for cycling and keeping
Some cleaner crew snails
I would like a Dora (finding nemo) fish, but don't want to overstock it nor do I know what they are.

All with a few live rocks, and few lace rock for caves. I will purchase the 1500gph overflow and build my sump into my spare 20g. My Rena xP3. My regular 48" t5 twin lighting system. I will upgrade to a aquion pro 300w heater. No idea about the protein skimmer?? All in a 100g tank. Alright I'm prepared for responses haha.

All that in a 60 gallon?!? Way way overstocked. Right now in my 55 with 15 gallon sump I have a coral beauty angel and 2 small tank raises clowns. I may total add a cardinal, firefish, and royal gramma and that's it. The "Dory" fish is too large for our size tank

Back
Top Bottom