65 gallon tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwaternewbie12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got this tank from my dad, after it had been neglected for years......it was def a big mess!!! Came with a emperor 400 filter, with 13 (!!) boxes of filter pads, stand, and CPR dual bac pak skimmer......let me say this was truly a disaster when I picked it up! I almost considered trashing it, but seeing how clean it actually came I'm super glad I didn't!! Here are some pics before it was cleaned and after....ignore the I level tank of water....my kids filled it with the hose while I was inside!! Planning to get in inside and filled with water tomorrow!

Attachments

• image-1164355269.jpg
    image-1164355269.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 159
  • image-3959803077.jpg
    image-3959803077.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 148
  • image-3212086946.jpg
    image-3212086946.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 166
  • image-2725445862.jpg
    image-2725445862.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 170
  • image-274523287.jpg
    image-274523287.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 166
Here is a pic from today.... Added the salt water and waiting for it to totally dissolve.... Also figured out the skimmer..... I think.....

Attachments

• image-914450692.jpg
    image-914450692.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 128
You got the right protein skimmer that's for sure. I've never even seen one that big. how old is the filter?

Filter came from my dad, so I have no clue.... It appears the impellers have been replaced.... Skimmer is a CPR dual bac pak..... Couldn't get micro bubbles at first, but now I have a ton of them spilling into the tank!! I'm guessing it will take a while to settle in since it has been stored quite a while..... It has pulled some gunk out already though....

I still need to get a heater and a few power heads.... Just haven't decided on which ones.... After I get those il add sand and live rock

Yeah the protein skimmer can be difficult some times, but once you figure it out its pretty easy to get. I'm starting the exact same size tank too are you doing a reef tank?

I am.... I already have a evolve 8 gallon nano reef..... My hubby just has his eyes on a few fish, so we decided to do a bigger tank too....this will probably be a pretty slow build...

Yeah it can be a very slow build just because of the expense in salt water tanks, but well worth it.

I still need to get a heater and a few power heads.... Just haven't decided on which ones.... After I get those il add sand and live rock

I like the Aqueon PHs. They stay on the glass better and are t terribly expensive. The Marineland ones tend to fall off the glass periodically, which is really annoying and I'm sure terrifying for the fish. Haha ill be following!! ::popcorn::

I like the Aqueon PHs. They stay on the glass better and are t terribly expensive. The Marineland ones tend to fall off the glass periodically, which is really annoying and I'm sure terrifying for the fish. Haha ill be following!! ::popcorn::

I found these powerheads on eBay after others praised them. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=281092421766&index=2&nav=SEARCH&nid=96799595987

The suction cup 800 gph is only $15 and the magnetic one is $24. I bought two magnetic ones and they work great.

Yea I used the marine land ones in my old 40b tank and they fell almost daily.....my brother uses the aqueon ones and really likes them.....I may with that, unless I can get my dad to give me some of his from his stash!!

I also need to decide what I will do for lights....I have a current brand compact florescent fixture( needs all new bulbs) and an almost new odyssea t5 quad 156 watt fixture.....maybe even use both.....I just know the CF fixture gets really hot even with the fans blowing.....

For powerheads, look up sunsun powerheads in eBay.. I have two different ones and they both work awesome. Comparable to the hydor korallias but half the cost.. For the lights, look at taotronics on amazon.. Great led lighting and a bunch of people are using them, including a bunch of lfs near me

I also need to decide what I will do for lights....I have a current brand compact florescent fixture( needs all new bulbs) and an almost new odyssea t5 quad 156 watt fixture.....maybe even use both.....I just know the CF fixture gets really hot even with the fans blowing.....

I probably wouldn't bother with the CF fixture. You can use the T5 fixture, but just be careful. Those Odysseas can over heat and can breakdown quickly. Just make sure to check it during your maintenance schedule.

Today's update : tank is clear now other than a TON of microbubbles coming from the skimmer....I'm guessing its just working in.....it is doing a wet skim and pulling a lot of water with a little nasty foam.....I have yet to figure out how to adjust in to a more dry skim.....

Added 200 watt heater and sand today.... Decided to go with dead sand and seed it with some live sand from my nano tank...... Waiting on the water to clear...... Again....

Here is a pic from today.....moved over the rock and a clown from my 8 gallon reef....now the 8 gallon is just holding some coral frags until the big tank is ready for them....I gotta get a lot more rock!!!! Here is a pic of the 65 and the now almost empty 8 gallon!! Hoping to make the 8 gallon a dwarf seahorse tank when everything is moved to the 65.....

Attachments

• image-144726422.jpg
    image-144726422.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 124
  • image-3310098923.jpg
    image-3310098923.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 133
Back
Top Bottom