6700K VS 10,000K

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltynewb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay guys. I have i 36 inch aqualight PC with 1 place for a 96 watt bulb. I would eventually like to keep some corals but i have a 6700 bulb in it that was previously used for a planted tank. What should i do stick with the 6700 or get a 10000. I know that i wont have any Actinics but do you think i will do fine with out them. I plan on probably getting a toadstool and maybe a few other softies. What should i do? :?:

I would say the 10k would be better than the 6700 but either would probably work out. Either way you would get more coralline with an actinic in there too.

Use the bulb you have until its about a year old then replace it with a 10K bulb. I know FW folks swear up and down that PC bulbs dont need to be replaced but I promise you that 10K bulb will color shift after 7-8 months and lose intensity.

You could also talk to local fish keepers and sell them the bulb if you're not wild about it's yellowish tint.

I have a T-5 set up, I had a 6500k and replaced with a 10,000k and still wished I would have replaced with an 11,000k to match the other one in my tank I also have a true actinic and a aqua blue that peeks at 420nm.
The 6500k was very bright but it made everything look yellow the 10,000k is a little better but it still seems I would have been better off with two 11,000k lights.

So fish freek do you think that still the corals will be fine with a 6700. And what do you think about spoonmerlins idea with the 50/50 guys. Hey i didnt know that they made a 6500k. guys i am new to SW and just want to learn form you guys with more experience so thanks all, you guys are awesome!

The 50/50 is a fine idea. Your intensity will be a bit lower than with a 100% 10K bulb. The 50/50 will fire 1 side at 10K and the other side at actinic.

I used to run 2 10K and 2 actninic over my 80 gal tank but this time I switched to 2 10K and 2 50/50 just to see the difference. I have more 'visable' light output and will see how my corals take to the light.

The lower the kelvin rating the more you will promote algae growth because there will be more yellow and red in the specitrum.

Back
Top Bottom