75 gal filtration Q's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrWrasse

Aquarium Advice Regular
Greetings,

I have been scouring the web and reading the info that has already been posted. I'm currently planning a 75 gallon reef tank and need a few things clarified. I'm brand new to saltwater aquariums, but have had some experience with freshwater setups. I have talked to many people at the LFS, and even called the SmithFoster info line. My questions right now are revolving around the filtration system. So far I have only purchased a 75 gal tank and stand. I am planing the use of Tahitian moon sand. I also will be using 100 lbs of uncured LR. The help line at Drs SmithFoster said to use a W/D filter. The LFS has said Canister and Fluidized bed filter. I do plan to have some hermits and snails. I have read in this thread that with LR/LS and Detritus eating inverts, that mechanical and biologial is not nessecary. If this is true do I still need chemical filtration. Seem to be a bit confusing. I'm not so concerned about the cost, because I will just wait till I have enough saved to do this right the first time. Any options would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

I have split your post from the other thread to give you more specific answers about your set up.

SRepking said:
I have read in this thread that with LR/LS and Detritus eating inverts, that mechanical and biologial is not nessecary
The biological filtration is provided by the sand and rock itself. If you wish to rely moreso on natural filtration, I would almost double the amount of the LR or add 100ish lbs of dead base rock to alleiviate some of the cost. The sandbed can be anywhere from 1-2" and if using a proper oolitic aragonite sand will still get a decent amount of nitrification from the sand. The rock will be the primary form of filtration as the anoxic area's within will convert the nitrates to a less harmful nitrogen.

Mechanical filtration is not really needed at all providing the natural sources are in sufficient quantity. You may still want to opt for a sump over the W/D as it will add to the total water volume, provide a space for unsightly equipment (skimmer, heater and such) and reduce the need for intank PH's depending on the velocity of the return pump.

Chemical filtration is also not something that you would call neccessary but can be a benifit from time to time. For items in this category, it will moreso depend on the stock level of the tank.

You will find the use of a protein skimmer or macro algae planted refugium much more beneficial as an add on to the natural filtration in the tank.

Cheers
Steve

On my 75 gallon i have 140 lbs live rock, 30 gallon sump, Refugium, a dsb,.

If it was me i would skip the Canister and Fluidized bed filter and go with a refugium.

Good luck Dewey

Back
Top Bottom