75 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are going to have corals a skimmer is an absolute MUST have. Now your sump does not need baffles, I have mine running without separations and its just fine. However, you will need a skimmer. I have mine with the skimmer on the left with macro algae, 35lbs of LR in the middle, and my return pump on the right hand side. I also have a sock filter for my overflow. Works great without baffles. It is your call though. Some people use them some dont.

I wish I had gotten the 75-gallon... I could really use it's footprint to work better with my LR. Otherwise, my 55gal is exactly like yours, and I'm very happy with it.

Tank is still pretty cloudy today. I wish it would clear so I can start arranging some LR

when I put the sand in it just hasn't really settled yet. I have two PH's in there and 3 big pieces of LR

ahhh trick for sand is to put it in first :) put a large bowl on top of it and pour your water into the bowl, will not make any clouds at all :)

what powerheads?

you will need a 3rd one soon enough for a 75 gallon :)

i plan on more. plus my return will add two more when I get the overflow and all running.

Oh ok, you have not set up your sump yet? Is your tank drilled or you just gonna over the back of it?

It is drilled in the corner at the bottom. I have the pvc coming up but the water is not high enough to flow into it yet. One, I didn't want to buy a return pump yet nor do I know which is a good one to get. Two, I wanted to see where my water will be after LR and all.

I am finishing out the plumbing tomorrow for the sump. Should the flexible tubing from the over flow end just above the sump, at the water level, or to th bottom of the sump?

if it's above the water level, it's going to sound like niagra falls. you want to run it below a bit.

Definitely. My trickle filter sounds like rain in my living room, but it's still loud at night. I couldn't imagine the sound it would make if it was an open-ended hose.

the return pump depends on what size drain you have. If it's 1'' then a mag 7 pushing up 4ft will work fine. You always want the retun pump to push the same or a touch less than the overflow can handle. That's what I have on my 125 except my overflow is a hob type. 600gph overflow with a mag 7 return pump. A skimmer is not a must, but healthy pwc's or if you are a diy'er, an algae turf scrubber. After reading about them and with Mr.x's and Floyds r Turbo's help, that's what I run and it works fine. Plus, it will be cheaper than a skimmer to acquire.

lol I knew that was coming. Its a green chromis and it is hiding in the LR somewhere. Hope it survives because I dont really wanna move all the live rock to get out his rotting body lol

Back
Top Bottom