75 gallon reef tank: no sump or skimmer. Should I use 2 smaller filters or 1 big one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csoutherland

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm starting up my tank soon but I'm not going to get a sump or skimmer for about 6 months. Should I use 2 smaller filters to put on each end or should I use one big filter? Open for anything so please give me all the info you can for I'm still learning.

If you keep your stock light you would get away with just using your live rock (aim for around 75 pounds) and plenty of flow - weekly water changes 10% your tank will cycle for a couple of months anyway so take it slow and that would work...

Live rock acts as your filter. Powerheads will push water over the very porous live rock causing bacteria to grow all over it. Live rock even offers deeper pockets where anaerobic bacteria can consume nitrates as well.

It's not necessary. I don't run one on my 20g reef and many people don't use actual filters on their tanks either. Some people do run filter socks on their sumps for mechanical filtration although I don't do that either.

If you really want to run one then there is nothing wrong with it, it's just not necessary whether its a 10g reef or a 200g reef. In a sumpless tank it could help with water clarity but that's about the only benefit you would get with running it. One thing I would like to add however is that you can run purigen or a phosphate removal media in a HOB filter whereas you couldn't with a powerhead.

Running a 75g tank, especialy if you want to turn it into a reef I would highly recommend getting at minimum 2 but probably 3 powerheads whether you are running a filter or not to help create a more dynamic flow.

Hydor koralia powerheads are without a doubt the best budget powerheads out there. If you wanted a wavemaker you could try out a jaebo wp25; they are a new powerhead that is very powerful, makes great waves, but it hasn't been released long enough to account for its durability. I bought one for my upcoming 40b tank and am very impressed with it.

I would shoot for around 2500gph of total flow in the tank

How many should I get? And is there a certain one or how do I choose which one to buy?

I wouldn't bother with a hob if you plan on adding a skimmer in 6 months - but it's up to you. I would say you will need some form of mechanical filtration if you don't add a skimmer or a sump eventually though. If you plan a reef I highly recommend ro-di water from the initial start up - will save you headaches down the road :)

Back
Top Bottom