75g reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h20addict

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i recently aquired a drilled oceanic 75g tank and i am looking to start a large reef build,This tank will need a little tlc, i need to strip and re stain the trip, scrape the paint off the side of the tank that sumone painted for sum odd reason...And paint the rear of the tank.
I currently have a 29g biocube that i will transfer over then turn into a frag tank as time allows.
First off i am in need of a corner overflow for the tank, what is my best option for finding and or buying one? all i can find is custom made..
i also have a sea life wet dry filter that i have pulled the bio balls out off and am soaking in water/vinagar along with the 75.
whould i be able to turn the wet dry filter in to a sump or is it not worth my time/effort?
considering going with a eshopps 100 skimmer in the sump as well.

Attachments

• 751.jpg
    751.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 752.jpg
    752.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 753.jpg
    753.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 754.jpg
    754.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 119
Just build a corner overflow from two pieces of acrylic ! Here's mine !

image-3940186722.jpg

Attachments

• image-409162849.jpg
    image-409162849.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 148
Thanks! did you use standered 3/8" acrylic? was also wondering what to do about the size of the "teeth" of the top of the overflow, is is relvant to how many gph your affter?

Yeh just standard ! I used blue because I was painting back glass blue ! As for the comb/fins on top I just used a size my fish etc could not get through and I give it a clean once a month with a toothbrush to keep optimum flow ! I have a 3000ltr per hour return pump in my sump but most of my turnover comes from powerheads in my display !

image-2569680111.jpg

Here's a pic of my system !

A good idea is to drill holes at the bottom of the overflow box so you pull from top which is like surface skimming and also pull from the bottom ! Only problem with this method is if your seal around your bulkhead gives your whole tank will drain !!! If it's only pulling water from the top then just your overflow box would drain = less mess on your floor lol mine only pulls from the top

pritchard said:
A good idea is to drill holes at the bottom of the overflow box so you pull from top which is like surface skimming and also pull from the bottom ! Only problem with this method is if your seal around your bulkhead gives your whole tank will drain !!! If it's only pulling water from the top then just your overflow box would drain = less mess on your floor lol mine only pulls from the top

I wouldn't do that for the reason you just described, a mess on the floor.

Lol ! It's surprising how many tanks I see with the corner overflow that pulls top and bottom ! I just could not relax if mine was like that !

pritchard said:
Lol ! It's surprising how many tanks I see with the corner overflow that pulls top and bottom ! I just could not relax if mine was like that !

If there is a stand pipe in the overflow, it won't matter, but most overflows don't have them, so you would see the tank empty during a power out...a very bad thing.

Thanks for the responses, sounds like ill make a templet out of cardboard and go and have two pieces cut.
This tank is already drilled on the bottom, that makes me nervous as is...
the bulk heads have been pluged and tank has been filled to check for any leaks around the bulkheads, and it will be plumed and re checked before it comes inside!

Now i need to pick what needs to be bought first!
I already have a heater, 6 bulb t5 fixture and about 70-80lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of sand that has been running in a second 75g for over 6 months, plus the all the rock/sand/live stock in the 29g

If there is a stand pipe in the overflow, it won't matter, but most overflows don't have them, so you would see the tank empty during a power out...a very bad thing.

So iv been doing a little researching on the stand pipe and it looks like thats the way i wana go as sumtimes im away from the tank for a day or two and DO NOT want to come home to 75g on the floor.
So i can use the durso on the overflow drain bulk head and plumb the return through the other bulk head correct?

Stand pipe or not if the bulkhead seal gives only your overflow box should drain ! The water in the tank will have no where to go ! Before the box I just had the stand pipe which worried me because the bulkhead seal was in the tank so any miss hap would have spelt big trouble lol

Here's my old design if this seal was to go the whole tank would drain !!!

image-2921609306.jpg

Ignore the unfinished-ness I was still building this system !

image-3420044996.jpg no overflow box just a stand pipe !

Attachments

• image-2416505342.jpg
    image-2416505342.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 156
Here's my new design where only overflow box would drain !

image-4214848144.jpg still got the stand pipes but housed inside the box !

Attachments

• image-918284217.jpg
    image-918284217.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 141
  • image-4290774889.jpg
    image-4290774889.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 114
Thanks for the pictures! I will be getting my stand pipe and overflow built over this next week i hope! Hell i may just even order the stand pipe as im expecting my first son this week!

Got the tank cleaned up a little more and the back painted. Also found sum oceanic glass lids to fit the tank.
Ordering my stand pipe soon, next is to get the overflow baffles cut.
And also a shot of my biocube to keep things interesting!

ForumRunner_20121202_105840.jpg

ForumRunner_20121202_105858.jpg

ForumRunner_20121202_105912.jpg

Just ordered 6 new t5ho bulbs, a mag 7 return pump and durso stand pipe.
What is the best way or place to go about getting an acrilic overflow baffle cut?

Can any body poiny me in the direction of sumone who makes custom, in tank overflows? I have tried melvs reef and am awaiting a response, lowes will cut acrylic but i am not %100 they will get the baffles cut correct...thanks!

Back
Top Bottom