75g reef build in progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, not trying to be a butt. The link I sent, his tank broke twice. Hate to see that happen. I wont bug you anymore. Just wanted you to be aware to avoid problems in the future. Good luck with the setup.

lol "a butt"

I read where Ziggy's tank broke once. His stand was a solid top and the 1/2" foam caused a stress fracture from one end to the other, but didn't see where it broke again, what caused the 2nd break?

The tank that he bought new broke also. I think for the same reason. Like I said, the thread is verrrrrrry long, but in the end the manufacurer had to approve the stand that he built before they would guarentee the tank. One year if he built and 20 years if you buy theirs. It all has to do with the tank being supported by the edges and not in the center or something like that. He had a ton of stuff in there and had just gotten it all growing again when it broke for the second time. It was horrible. Cant imagine going through that. Luckily it was in his basement with concrete floors.

yeah, that sounds more like a problem with his solid top stand as opposed to the way the manufacturer makes them.

My stand is open, only supporting the tank at the edges. I'm still going to ask a couple geniuses I know.

I can't help myself, but cCapt is correct your framing and structural design may not work. Not saying that it won't work but it will for awhile until it cracks under pressure. Like cCapt stated your depending on beads of Silicone to hold back a lot of pressure.

Good Luck man hope all goes well.... (y)

I decided that since I have a while till I'm even going to put salt water in the tank, that I'll fill it with tap water and monitor it.

As of now, it's full to the brim, no leaks. I was displeased to find that the ground in this room is not level... it's got a 1" drop over 4 feet. I guess if I raise one end of the stand by 1/2" it will even out. Any ideas on how to do that? maybe just cut a peice of 1/2" ply and stick it under the correct side?

This thread sort of confirms my beliefs about my aquarium's trim.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/aquarium-trim-question-82006.html jsoong made a good post.

My 75g tank is 3/8" glass and has a 10" glass brace on top in the middle. As I mentioned, the trim that I pulled of seemed really flimsy and came off with no effort.

I'm nearly certain my tank will be fine with no trim. I have it full right now and have no bowing at all, measures 18" deep on the sides and 18" deep in the center.

As of now, it's full to the brim, no leaks. I was displeased to find that the ground in this room is not level... it's got a 1" drop over 4 feet.
You definitely need to level that out. Now you have all that extra weight of the water leaning against the side...which is only held together by silicone.

Dude...I would really hate to see this tank bust open on you. Your livin' on the edge. :cool:

I agree, I just emptied out the tank (getting ready to drill it) and I'm going to put 1/2" plywood under the right side of the tank, should even it out perfectly.

I dont know how you can do it, but I would try to make something that would be wedge shaped that would take up the variance as you go from one side of the stand to the other. If you only put a block under one end of the tank to level it, the stand wil eventually sag and you will end up with the same problem. It needs to be supported along the whole length, not just blocked up on one end. Might be easier to take a piece of wood that is 4' long and cut it at an angle that is 1/2" higher on one end than the other then screw it to the front and back of the bottom of the stand, then the 1/2" block on the end. Is that clear as mud? It would look kind of like a realllllly long doorstop (or a shim).

If it were a manufacturers stand made from particle board, I'd agree with you. What your suggesting, I feel to be a waste of my time and resources. It would take years, if ever for the stand to sag at all, much less enough to make a noticeable difference.

I just got back from the plumbing supply, got some 1" pvp fittings, maybe I'll have everything plumbed by tomorrow, I still need to cut my sump baffles and finish the sump, but I don't know the dimensions of my pump and skimmer, both of which are in transit.

Cool, taking alot for granted when I cant see what I'm dealing with. Sorry for all the advice. Mean it to be helpful, not bothersome. Seen alot of poorly made stands not hold up so well.

hehee, no worries bud, seriously, throw advice out as much as you can, I like to hear all of it. Your not going to offend me, and I really hope I don't offend you, or anybody else. Typing is hard for me to express things, oftentimes what I say I think is taken the wrong way.

I got nothin but love for you guys. :)

Well, I just drilled the tank and installed my skimmer box!!!! It wasn't bad at all, I even did it in doors and just dunked my bit in a bucket of water every 30 seconds or so.

and for 40 bucks including the bit!!!! This is probably the cheapest overflow box around, and from the looks of it, it's going to be trouble free, no priming!

I guess now I will install my powerheads and put the sand in the tank. Then I'll run to Lowes and buy some pvc hose, start plumbing everything up.

Attachments

• DSC06763.jpg
    DSC06763.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC06765.jpg
    DSC06765.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 46
I got my sand put in the tank, I've got 30 lbs left over for the refugium.

Just ordered 90 lbs of live rock, and 25 lbs of rubble.

/heading to lowes

Back
Top Bottom