75gal filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been running my 75 on a canister filter and coralife skimmer (superskimmer 125)
I recently added another 60 lbs if live rock making it very close to 130-140 lbs of live rock .
Parameters are
Ammonia : 0ppm
Nitrate 5-10 ppm
Nitrite :0 ppm
Ph : 8.3
Temp :78
Phos : 0 but I don't think it's right
SG : 1.024- 1.026
Lights are 6 48" T5HO
3 white and 3 blue

My stock is
1 ritteri anemone , 10-12" diameter
3 clown fish
1) orange shoulder tang
1) kole tang
1) yellow wrasse
1) cleaner wrasse
5) blue legged hermits
1) urchin
1) black brittle star 6" to end of legs
1) brittle star ( very small )
1) yellow tail damsel
I can list corals too if needed

The question is ,

Can I run and filter this tank with the skimmer and rock alone or should I keep the canister running too ?
I was thinking of if I run it maybe ill only keep filter cloth in it .

First off the orange shoulder needs a new home 180 or larger. Next the canister can be run as long as you're cleaning it every 3-4 days and keeping it from building up waste on the inside and seeing as how your nitrates are only 5-10 ppm im assuming your husbandry on your tank is up to par. You could remove the canister or just unplug it and monitor your levels and see if you get a noticeable difference in parameters. When that Orange shoulder gets bigger you'll definitely have issues with more than just filtration they get to 14".

I have been thinking of getting rid of him knowing he is too big for awhile .

I bought him not knowing and the help I had at the LFS didn't know too much of anything .
I have since found live aquaria . Com very useful for minimum tank size and compatibility .
I have a 3rd clown fish that came with these rocks I recently bought that needs to go .
My small clown is getting shoved out of the anemone and being bullied .
I might see is my skimmer is capable of running the tank alone without the canister .
As for husbandry I am stuck on a once a week PWC or 20% -25%

Definitely lose the orange shoulder and the last clown added. What skimmer are you running and do you have any powerheads? If your flow is high and you have 130 lbs of live rock i see no need for the canister if your skimmer is up to the task.

Definitely lose the orange shoulder and the last clown added. What skimmer are you running and do you have any powerheads? If your flow is high and you have 130 lbs of live rock i see no need for the canister if your skimmer is up to the task.

Its a coral life super skimme 125
Rated for 125 gal I figure it should do 75 with no problem .
I have power heads .

One power head is a maxi jet

And the other 2 are as the attached pictures .

image-3637983824.jpg

There is one of these in each end about 6" from the top .
Pointing slightly up and towards the other .
The maxi jet is on the side about half way down facing across the length of the tank

I say if you drop the orange shoulder and which ever clown is being bullied you could drop the canister with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom