75gall stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
well even though my 75gall is months away....I want to get a "general" ideah of what is going in it.... and im having a very hard time chooseing LOL

what I have currently ( I know, overstocked, but I am upgradeing so please dont jump on me :( im doing pwc every week and all levels are good, ammonia 0, nitrate 0 )

1x o. clown
1x six line wrasse
1x bicolor blenny
1x pajama cardinal
1x bangaii cardinal
1x yellow tailed damsel
1x royal gramma

tiny hermits, not sure how many as some have been attacked by others..but im thinking about 5
2 turbo snails, 2 astrea
1 small candy cane coral frag and 1 small brown polyp frag

what I would like to add eventually to the 75 is
cleaner shrimp
other shrimp (like pepermint)? what others?
at least 1 emerald crab...if not more?
more hermits and snails
these are fish I would like to add, not all of them but a list of fish I would like in general
yellow tang (have always wanted one...)
hippo tang (I have always wanted both tangs...but I know im prob. going to have to choose huh?)
diamond goby or sleeper goby (would like one or the other
purple fire goby?
dwarf angel? (like maybe If I dont get a yellow tang, I get a hippo tang and a lemon peel angel or somthing?)
umm a buterfly but they arent reef safe are they? :(
their are probably more that I just cant think of...so help? I will prob. be doing DIY sump if I can ever figure it out (lol) as well as protien skimmer, canister filter and the filters I have on the 29 now....

thanks in advance for the help. I know everyone is tired of me asking what seems like the same questions :oops:

The only Tang advisable for a 75 gal is a yellow tang(Zebrasoma flavescens). FWIW some knowledgeable people would even say a 75 is too small for a yellow tang, overtime. In all honesty the list of fish you have currently is going to fill out a 75 when they are grown, and then some. That's 22+ inches of adult fish. Are you planning a large sump/fuge in addition to the tank?

im planning a 29gall sump/fuge
wow I am glad I am upgradeing as I diddnt relize I was that overstocked :eek: (having a mom that brings home fish doesnt help)

It's definitely something you need to be aware of. You may not be noticing huge water quality issues yet, although I imagine there are some issues, you absolutely will overtime regardless of how strict a maintenance schedule you keep. Stocking properly is the foundation of a tank. It will make or break it in terms of long term success..

I agree with Mike...I would plan on a sump and the fuge. Increase your water volume as much as possible. I have a total of about 120g in my system. My display is 72g so you can see that I have a lot of additional water volume. I'm getting ready to add another 25+ gallons with the addition of a prop-tank.

I am planning on trying a Flame angel but I have heard that lemon peels are a quaranteed coral nipper. I have my Flame in my prop tank now an all is good. But time will tell.

I am upgrading my 75 to a 180. Right now I have:
Yellow Tang
Royal Gramma
Yellow Watchman goby
2 YT Damsels
Percula Clown

I figure my load is pretty light but my tang is pretty big. My sump and frag tank is bigger than my display. I go light of my fish load and heavy on corals and inverts. They can be just as cool :)

I would do corals but 1. lighting to expensive, 2. corals to expensive, and 3. I dont want to "jump in" to big SW tanks with corals and loose them...espessially not with money thats not mine LOL this is a huge tank for me as a 29 is the biggest I have ever had...

You should increase your cleanup crew----you need about 30snails and 30 small hermits, 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 coral banded, 6 emerald crabs.
There are also good water filterers--- fan worms and clams.

I would concentrate on building these up then by the time you do your tank will have further cycled enough to take on a bigger bioload like a yellow tang
Tangster

blazeyreef said:
I would do corals but 1. lighting to expensive, 2. corals to expensive, and 3. I dont want to "jump in" to big SW tanks with corals and loose them...espessially not with money thats not mine LOL this is a huge tank for me as a 29 is the biggest I have ever had...

LPS corals----buy trade frags--average 10-20 dollars---don't require alot of expensive lighting by learning where to place them in the tank.

Tangster

Back
Top Bottom