75gallon Give me some thoughts..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gooyferret

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well i just purchased a 75 gallon in which im going to make my own stand and canopy. Im planning on using a 5 gallon pail for a trickle filter, and then have that run into a refuge. What should i put in the refuge? What kind of algae and where to get it? I have the bioballs for the trickle filter and just curious on thoughts or maybe other ideas.
Thanks

i would skip the trickle filter all together and use a DSB of about 6 inches. then about 75-90 lbs of live rock. then do a 10-20 gallon fuge underneath with your heater and your skimmer if you so choose to have one. bioballs tend to cause excess nitrates in the water. i would try the more natural route.

I agree with Kribbz. As I am setting up my first SW reef (very slowly and calculated) I have crossed this issue a billion times. If you don't plan on going with a DSB or LR then the filtration is necessary and a skimmer eventually. As for the refugium, (keep in mind this all from research as i haven't set mine up completely), Calerpa algae and either more LS and LR frags or Miracle mud which is a premixed substrate for your refuge that adds trace elements. Again, I am still in the early staeges as well, but I believe I'm on the right track. :wink:

ditto, i have a 75gal with just 125lbs live rock, overflow to a 20 gal refugium under tank. powerheads and aquaflow500gph for water movement. my calerpa just started growing on its own, now i take bunches and give it to my tang.

ok....HMMM..
Well the bioballs are outta the question. Im going a cheap route so im going to have a rio 3100 return pump which will give me plenty of GPH. :) Im going to go with a plastic container for the sump. I have about 60lbs of LR right now for it but cant afford anymore right now. I have a protein skimmer also. How should i setup the sump for the refuge? Do i need LR and sand down in the refuge with the calerpa? Thanks

don't know if you need it but i have sand and rock plants and 2 peppermint shrimp in mine. :mrgreen:

Sand will be very beneficial for the caulerpa to attach itself to. It will also promote the growth much better as it will be able to gain nutrient from two sources and not just the water alone. I would skip the rock. When "culling" the growth it is much easier to remove from a simple sand bed than when it embeds itself into rock.

Depending on the type of caulerpa you choose, neither is absolutely necessary for success but it will improve the chances.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom