90 gallon fish load question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thor32766

Aquarium Advice Regular
What do you think the amount of fish I can put in my 90 gallon tank with usuall filters and a 20 gallon refugium. I dont know the amount of live rock, but i have alot of it. Just general idea.
thanks and let me know if you need any other info.

thanks
brian

It all depends on the type of fish... There is no way anyone can give you a blanket number. FOWLR or Reef also plays a roll in the number of fish. You should tell us what kind of fish your thinking about and then we can help you out.

As a very general rule, about 18 inches of fish max, but again, keep in mind it depends on the individual fish also. Two big ones and you'd be done...especially depending on aggression, etc..

I have a Harlequin, Antennetta Lion, Tomato Clown, Sailfin, Yellow, Koran Angel, Singapore angel, and two fish i caught myself a tiny four eyed butterfly and a small filefish. I was just wondering what you guys would say. I checked my water yesterday and my nitrates and nitrites are almost zero. My ammonia on the scale i forgot the exact reading but it said i was in the safe zone. My tank with all these fish has been running for 6 months. Looking at other post i have alot of fish in there.

thanks again
brian

It looks like a pretty large load to me. I`d try to aim for 0 on the ammonia instead of safe. Maybe others will chime in

if you can keep your nitrates at 0 with regular water changes, you're definitely not overloaded.

Take a look at what I have. I have a pretty full load right now and they all get along great w/ no water problems.

I checked my water yesterday and my nitrates and nitrites are almost zero. My ammonia on the scale i forgot the exact reading but it said i was in the safe zone.
Declining water parameters are a sign of over-stocking. What does "almost" zero mean? NO2 and NH3 NEED to be at zero, any minute detectable amount is unacceptable. NO3 should be less then 10ppm. IMO, you are over-stocked and may have some poor compatibility. the tangs and the angels alone need a MUCH larger tank to house this many. As time goes by I am sure aggression will be an issue. You also have some pretty messy eaters there which could contribute to the poor water parameters. Consider thinning out your stock by at least one tang and one angel. What are you using for filtration and are you skimming?

Almost forgot...
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

thanks for all the replys. Yes I am running a skimmer. Checked levels at my LFS and my kit was a little off. Everything was great and my guy was blown away at the readings, with what i have in there. As far as filtration the LR and a 20 gallon refugium. I have a couple powerheads moving water around. That would be about it. Thanks again for all the feedback!

Back
Top Bottom