A call for redundancy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well...my large reef has been going downhill for several weeks now. I have spent countless hours trying to ID the issue but could never figure it out...until today.

It started with my xenia dying off, followed by most of my SPS, one clam, a BTA, a LTA, several acan colonies and some sun corals. Most of my LPS, my mushrooms, zoas, duncan, one acan and a clam are still doing fine. All fish and most mobile inverts are fine. All water chemistry has been fine. I increased water changes and even bought all new CF and MH lamps. Still...things continued to deteriorate.

The only thing out of the ordinary was my temp. It seemed to Hoover around 72-74. I have two 300watt heaters in my sump and kept turning them up with no increase on my Coralife digital thermometer. Being I live in MN and my tank is topless and in our basement (which is only around 65 unless the fireplace is on) I chalked it up to that.

Today, while doing routine maintenance, I noticed my nano (also kept in the basement at degrees) felt much cooler then my 95gal. I changed the batteries in my digital thermo and it still read 73. So I took the thermometer out of nano and placed it in my large reef...the temp read 88! Makes me wonder just how long I have been cooking my tank.:oops:

So I guess the moral of the story is to run out and invest in a second thermometer so you can use two to verify one another. The $20 purchase could save you hundreds and hundreds of dollars in coral and a ton of heartache. One of the nice things about this hobby is that you can learn from the misfortunes of others instead of experiencing it first hand...:confused:

I`m sorry Brian for what`s been happening. Thanks for sharing so the rest of us will know next time. I hope all goes well.

Wow, sorry for the losses. I know how you feel and I do the same, purchasing the $2.00-$5.00 suction cup therms as a backup.

That is a good lesson to (re)learn, unfortunately I wish you didn't have to learn it at the expense of your critters. My SW tank got cooked last summer by a week of extreme heat and I saw how fast things can go downhill.

Wow Brian, I'm really sorry to hear that!

I have 3 different thermometers for my system. Redundancy is a very good idea. I also have a temp probe that I use to double check the others.

It's a shame but many of us have trusted thousands of dollars of investment to those same 6.00 thermometers. I too have found them to be very inaccurate, to the point of no longer using them. Glad you caught it when you did.

Oh my gosh sorry to hear about that. That really sucks. I was using a coral life digital thermo and its reading is below what it should be. I found out when I got just a regular (mercury or at least I think its mercury) thermo and it read 84...

Thanks everyone! The temp is now down to 79 and steady. Now it is just a waiting game to see how the rest of my corals come out of things. Once I see some improvment and growth and I can begin rebuilding.

I've always heard it's good to have 2 thermometers for every tank. I think I'll go buy some more....

BTW I bought one off of ebay the otehr day for $2.85 + $2.85 shipping. Can't beat it.

Back
Top Bottom