A couple of questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwright

Aquarium Advice Regular
A film has developed at the surface and I am wondering what I can do to get rid of it. I have used paper towel to remove it and that helped but it just keeps building up.

I am wondering if a protein skimmer will help with this? I have been dragging my feet getting one. I have decided to setup a sump and I am going to place the skimmer in the sump.

Right now I am running a SEA Life Systems 125 wet dry filter on my 125. A mag drive7 is used for the return pump. I also have a fluval 404 and a magnum 350 running. I am thinking of replacing the magnum 350 with the 40 gallon sump where I can hide all of my equipment. I am also hoping that will increase my water flow. I am going to put a double over flow box down to the sump and and use a mag9 or so for the return pump.

So back to my original question, I currently have a single over flow box feeding the wet/dry filter but it doesnt seem to be removing this surface scum. Should it or do I need to be doing something else to eliminate this?

My water parameters are
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 2.5
Phosphates 0
PH 8.2

I have light algae problem but that is mostly due to me still using water softened tap water. I think my tap water contains silicates all other parameters are the same as my tank.

Thanks in advance, I have kept my new tank in relatively top shape with minimal problems and have enjoyed it tremendously. And it is due in a large part to this site.

A skimmer would help big time.
In the mean time you may also want to get some R/O water (maybe from you LFS if you don't want to buy one) and do some water changes.

And I don't know anyone that doesn't get surface algae on their glass, not really a problem just a fact of the hobby.

If it is a FO tank, you might want to consider a UV. I am in the process of buying one after seeing how it works on a friends tank. If the skimmer doesn't get it, then perhaps the UV will get it. HTH

Mike

Back
Top Bottom