a good combination of corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyspot1000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if this was a good combination of corals:

Yellow Polyps
Orange spot Polyps
Red Mushrooms
Spotted Mushrooms
Kenya Tree Coral
Torch Coral
Frogspawn
Pulsing Xenia

Are these good for a beginner? How many watts per gallon should be applied for these in particular? Which should have good flow, which should not? How far apart should they be spaced?

the polyps and mushrooms are non-aggressive. You can put those close to each other with out a problem. They both need low-moderate light with better colors showing the closer you get to moderate light. They will do well in a variety of flow as long as it is not really strong.

Kenya tree coral is a name that gets applied to quite a few coral in fish stores. If you have a picture of it or can provide a link we can give a bit better information. Many of them will need occasional supplemental feeding of filter foods to really thrive and will do better in a bit more established aquarium.

Torch coral and frogspawn both have similar requirements. they will do well under moderate to the low side of high lights. Make sure if you have a lot of light to acclimate them to the light over the course of a few weeks. The are aggressive and can develop sweeper tenticles that are several inches. They should be provided plenty of space so they don't sting other coral. Moderate flow is good for them. The polyps should be moving gently in the current without give the impression of being pull against the skeleton by the flow. They do not need any additional feeding.

Xenia are really nice coral as long as you are aware and willing to put up with a few things. They grow well under low to moderate light and may even adapt to higher light if it is done slowly. I find my pom pom xenia look "fluffier" when the light is better. I would again suggest moderate flow to keep them happiest but they will live under pretty varied conditions. They have a tendency to "walk" around the tank and will move to a location where they are happy. The down side is once they are happy they grow faster then any other coral i have owned. They will quickly starve neighboring corals of light and continue to grow right around them. Removing xenia can be a real pain because it will grow back from the tiniest bit of tissue left behind. I would also recommend keeping some activated carbon around if you want to keep xenia because if you mess with them they slime like crazy.

Thanks for the reply! Really helpful and informative.

Ok, a few more questions, When people say 'when polyps colonize', does that mean that they reproduce and grow new ones? Does the same concept go with the shrooms?

Heres the Kenya Tree Im talking about: Kenya Tree Coral

Im thinking that the Torch and Frogspawn coral is not the best Idea, I think I might cross those off the list. Do you know any good corals that could replace those? What about a Bubble coral? Birdsnest coral?

If I add the Xenia first, would I be able to add some corals after it grows some and moved to a comfortable spot?

What other corals would you suggest for a beginner?

A 14 gallon Oceanic Bio-cube or a 29 gallon Oceanic Bio-cube (I dont own either of them, but Making future plans before all set-up)

Wow. I'm thinking 3 of those from your list only. Xenia would not be a good choice. Frogspawn, torch, kenya tree leather. Dunno. They've got to be awfully small and I've seen them that might work. They will grow if happy, but the xenia more than the others will drive you crazy real soon if happy.

I'd start with a few rocks or snail shell frag size pieces for the polyps and the shrooms. Look for nano sized stuff and maybe you'll be fine.

Thanks for the reply! So Im able to do the Shrooms and polyps defiantly? Would any of these work?: Taylor's Tree Coral, Taro Tree Coral, or Hetero Xenia?

I'd do some Googling and read other forums and experiences, and any other information about size potential, photos, or any thing that tells you if it'll fit in those smaller tanks.

Back
Top Bottom