A important read for hobbiests about hard coral protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bet ORA has a way to prove that all their coral/fish are captive and not wild. I mean obviously the orignals were but they've been cultivating for years now. I bet they'd agree to a 10% release of all their non blended fish back into the wild. They should probably leave the morphs in tanks but some true clowns could go back into the wild...

Interesting thing about some of the morphs though...is that there are a handful that have actually been discovered in the wild. I read an article months ago about someone seeing some clown morph on a dive that they had taken a picture of...
Just last week I was in a discussion regarding an odd coloration of coral beauty. Though the morphs in clowns, color varies greatly in them depending on location and other such things, to the point where there are almost entirely yellow coral beauties!
That said, I'd think that we could release them even though I don't think I'd want to release a 300 dollar fish...

I'm for making it illegal to take another living thing from the ocean. Whatever we have here now, is enough. If it's not, then we are doing it wrong.

For corals, I absolutely agree. Fish would be the end of 99% of the FOWLR side of the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

We can raise trout by the millions, but not SW hobby fish. That seems just wrong. In the freshwater industry in the 70's most fish were flown in from outside the U.S. But then fish farms and private hatcheries started providing live bearers and especially cichlids, like angelfish. I ran a small facility that supplied several dozen fish stores. I can only hope there are some breeding and hatching success's in SW. One thing for certain is the price of fish will sky rocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom