A macro aglea question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brian242pa

Aquarium Advice Freak
My question is which is the best macro algea that will absorb phosphates. My phosphates are .25 and i need to lower but im just a kid and can't afford a RO/RI system. I have done research and i think the best macro algea is Red Gracillaria. If you are going to recomend somthing else please tell me a please don't tell me about any algeas that will go asexual because if it does i will :evil:. I don't have too much space because i am buying a small in tank refuge because i can't afford to get another light and my sump is filled with a protien skimmer and pump:(. I'm only 12 and not rich for sure!!! Also im about to get rid of all of my red slime!!!!!:invasion:

Well, most people like to use chaeto since it does a good job of using up the excess nutrients in your water, and definitely does not go as asexual such as grape caulerpa. For the caulerpa to NOT go asexual, you will need 24/7 constant lighting, so that would not be a good suggestion considering it's going in a fuge in your main tank, in which you can't keep the lights on 24/7.

However, you may want to save up your money and invest in the RO/DI system. I know it's a lot of money, but you can find cheap units locally or through ebay, and it is definitely one of the best pieces of equipment you could have for a SW tank. There's a lot more than just phosphates in tap water that are harmful or nuisances to SW tanks, and RO/DI units get rid of most, if not all of them. The only thing that the macro algae will lower are your nitrates and phosphates.. not to mention it takes time and you won't see any overnight changes in the levels of both. But regardless, it's definitely a good start so go with it, and it's definitely good that you are doing research. Research is key all the way around.

Good Luck!

Zero is correct in that Chaetomorpha and Caulerpa racemosa (grape caulerpa) are the best in rapid PO4 uptake. All macros, especially Caulerpas, have the ability to go asexual.

I use grape calerpa. Keep it lit 24/7 and regularly pruned you will be OK.

Thx but how long would u say it will take to really make a difference. Also around november i will have $ because that is my b-day and get to RO/RI unit. Thx and i've heard that red gracellia is the least know to go asexual. Another question is that how do you prevent your macro algea from going asexual?

It takes weeks to really see a difference. Partial Water Changes (PWCs), along with reduced feeding will help for now.

Specifically, turf algae is the most efficient nitrate, PO4 exporter I know of. For a 29G aquarium, a 50GPD system should do just fine.

Brian, that's a RO only unit you linked meant for drinkig water. You could add a DI filter after it or just look for a different unit that is RODI.

Back
Top Bottom