A Successful Reef Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Montanarocknree

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like everyone to pick out one important element to a successful reef. There are several out there but pick only one please!
I will start this:
PATIENCE: I believe this to be one of the most important elements to the success of a reef aquarium. So many of us fail on this element alone and has caused so many tanks to crash.
It is really important when starting a new reef aquarium to have the PATIENCE to let the tank cycle before adding new inhabitants. Even us more experienced hobbyists still deal with this problem like for instance going to the LFS and seeing something really colorful and wanting it right now. When you add a new coral, fish or invert you need to allow time between each new addition for the bio-load to catch up to your filtration system. We just need to take it SLOW and the rewards are great! Ok who is next? Johnny :)

BE OBSERVANT: it will make the tank much more pleasant and interesting to study the entire system for hitchhikers and new stuff growing. Also most nuisances can be spotted early and dealt with before it can cause havoc. Like any algea usually starts in small patches, Killer crabs and mantis shrimp can be identified and caught before any real damage.

PATIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!

I have learned that over time. I have wanted a yellow tang since I have started but been patient enought NOT to get one for my small tank. I plan on getting onein my next tank.

PATIENCE@!!!

Jacob

Research.

Know what the expected interations will be between animals before introducing them to your tank. Know what their care requirements are.

Since reasearch and patience are taken...I'll gho with the comic relief..

1) Tank
2) Water
3) Saltmix

Cause if you don't have those three things, you better have patience cause through research is the only way you'll observe any fishes and inverts... :lol:

Haha,

Is there anything else really? If you have patience and you research theres not much you can't do, eh?

I have to say I have gotten the MOST info off of the forums I have been on over the yr (or almost a yr). Aaron, Kevin(s), Val, Fant, Candybass, And every1 else has greatly helped me get my tank going.

Jacob

Great topic, Johnny.

I believe EXPERIENCE, 'time in grade' if you will, is the real key. Nothing can replace hands on experience.

Sue

CaliGal said:
Great topic, Johnny.

I believe EXPERIENCE, 'time in grade' if you will, is the real key. Nothing can replace hands on experience.

Sue

Yes, except remember that one year of experience repeated 10 times does not equal 10 years of experience. Grow, learn, experiment :)

DEDICATION

A sucessful reefer needs to have dedication. Daily topoffs, regular water changes, testing, feeding. The amount of work that goes into your tank shows in the beauty.

DEDICATION

Bett,

thats cause we are both so darn smart.... :) :) :)

You beat me to the other post so I had to jump in on this one.

haha

I give you kudos for being so darn smart!!! :!:

Back
Top Bottom